Transformer winding advise needed.

Clark44

Joined Aug 11, 2014
Just need a little advise, i am not that much experienced in electronics that is why i am compelled to ask this.
Does it matter whether i wind primary and feedback beneath secondary or above it? Does it make any difference?
The transformer i am talking about is for cfl driver.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
I honestly don't know if it is merely traditional to wind the primary first. There are dual bobbins where the primary and secondary are completely separate and both are the same distance from the core. There are interleaving methods and bifilar methods. Hoping for an answer from crutschow. He usually has me beat on details like this.

Clark44

Joined Aug 11, 2014
I honestly don't know if it is merely traditional to wind the primary first. There are dual bobbins where the primary and secondary are completely separate and both are the same distance from the core. There are interleaving methods and bifilar methods. Hoping for an answer from crutschow. He usually has me beat on details like this.
Yeah i am also waiting for an answer which would satisfy me. Otherwise i am gonna keep looking.

Brownout

Joined Jan 10, 2012
Winding the secondary over the primary would result in the best efficiency by minimizing flux leakage. This of course is dependent on several factors, core material type, quality of winding and so forth. But there are other goals in transformer design that dictate how it should be wound, including thermo management, galvanic isolation, ease of construction, amongst others.

Now let's see if crutschow can validate my opinion or shoot it full of holes :)

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
Well, I appreciate you all thinking of me, :cool: but I'm not really familiar with the details of how a transformer is wound, so I would just have to get that info off the web or from another knowledgeable forum member, the same as you. One of those, I think MaxHeadRoom, seems well-versed in motors and other power devices so perhaps he can chime in.