Transformer replacement

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by FORDFAN006, Jan 9, 2011.

1. FORDFAN006

Thread Starter New Member

Jan 5, 2011
    Hi,
    I am needing to replace a transformer from a cosel smps 300p-24. The only numbers on the transformer are t4808 and P30240TAU-1.I have search both part numbers and have had no luck.Any suggestions would be great thanks,Brian

2. t06afre

AAC Fanatic!

May 11, 2009
    Perhaps get a new cosel smps 300p-24. As they are cheap. You can contact Cosel. But I think it will be more easy to to just a new one. The part is probably coustum made for Cosel.

3. FORDFAN006

Jan 5, 2011
    a new power supply is 499.00

4. FORDFAN006

Jan 5, 2011
    What it is doing is working for 5 min. stops then after reset for 5 -10 min. it works for 5 min. and so on.I can see the volts dropping right before the machine codes out.It is powering a toyota embroidery machine.any help will be great thanks

5. t06afre

AAC Fanatic!

May 11, 2009
    Sorry I misread some website. So I was sure the price was about 30$. I am not an expert on SMPS units. But that error sounds more something like a bad capacitor and not the transformer. It could also be that the power is slightly overloaded and shut down due to some protection circuitry. Have you disconnected the power supply, and connected it to some light load, like a ligthtbulb. Just to see if the error occurs with light loads also

6. FORDFAN006

Jan 5, 2011
    no i have not, the out put is 24 volts 300 watts and 14 amps.Any suggestions what to connect to.All the caps look good,but I know they could be bad.Is it worth getting an esr meter? thanks

7. t06afre

AAC Fanatic!

May 11, 2009
    You can connect your power supply to 24 volt light bulb for cars. Or 2 equal 12 volt light bulbs in serial. Then you can test if the power fails in this situation also. As I said the problem could be the load not the power. Your power give out 24 volt. But the current is depended on the load. A capacitor may look good, but be broken. Remember that this was only guess work from my side. The error can be something else. Electrolyte capacitors in SMPS are very often low esr type. If you replace a capacitor in your SMPS get the correct replacement type(voltage rating,ESR...etc)