TRANSFORMER QUESTION

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by magnetman12003, Aug 8, 2015.

1. magnetman12003

Thread Starter Active Member

May 10, 2008
    I have a 20 KHZ HI FREQUENCY power supply that puts out 1143 AC volts
    I want to reduce the voltage to 14 AC volts as my output.
    That's a ratio of 82 to 1
    Can I use a 4KHZ transformer that has a secondary impedance of 2200 ohms and a primary impedance of 25 ohms?
    That's a ratio of 88 to 1. Very close to 82 to 1

Just what transformer turns ratio are required to directly connect the transformer to the power supply having stated all the above? I have re edited this with detailed info.

In short I am seeking a transformer that will work connected to my plasma ball in the below video.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2015
  2. Reloadron

Jan 15, 2015
    I doubt it. There is a great deal more to this. You mentioned 1,232 volts but no mention of that frequency? Then you mention a Hi Frequency AC transformer but fail to mention what you are calling High Frequency. For example if I use a transformer rated for 400 Hz at 60 Hz the result will be heat and burning. Additionally if I apply greater than 1 KV to a transformer rated with a 600 VAC breakdown voltage bad things will happen. Your post really lacks any detail making it about impossible to answer. So I'll just say no. Get a transformer designed for doing what you need done. I will also get back to you here in the forums, nowhere else.

Ron

3. AnalogKid

Distinguished Member

Aug 1, 2013
    If the primary and secondary values you stated are DC resistances, they are irrelevant. If they are impedances, they indicate a turns ratio that is les than what you need.

ak

4. Lestraveled

May 19, 2014
    Reloadron summed it up very well. Just the input voltage of 1,232 volts AC, will demand a special transformer that is capable of handling that high of a voltage without self-destructing. I think this parameter drive the rest of your design.

5. tcmtech

Nov 4, 2013
    So what hidden energy are we supposed to be looking at here? HV corona effects being captured and used to light a LED bulb? o_O