Transformer power supply - how to wire secondaries?

pete_l

Joined Dec 9, 2008
I'm building a dual power supply with outputs of 0 - 20V. Each supply comes from it's own secondary, see the barebones circuit below

The regulators (LM338 ed. PJL) and associated gubbins come from points A and C for each channel. However I want the outputs to have a common zero volts - as opposed to the separate points B and D. I need this as the power supply has a microprocessor controlled Voltage/Current display, which is run from just one of the channels, so 0V must be a common reference point for the A-D converters.
I'm apprehensive about just connecting these two points together as I have no information about the relative phases of the secondaries (i.e. whether they are connected as shown, with P1A - P1B and p2A - P2B, or with one secondary "reversed", relative to the other).
Measuring the voltage across B - D shows about 5 Vols A.C, but with a 1k resistor, this drops to zero. The transformer is spec'd at 100W, so if I get this wrong, big smoke is a definite possibility.
Simple question: can I safely connect the points B and D to form a common 0V for the two supplies?
Answered by sgtwookie - yes you can.

Attachments

Last edited:

mkbutan

Joined Sep 30, 2008
I'm building a dual power supply with outputs of 0 - 20V. Each supply comes from it's own secondary, see the barebones circuit below

SORRY
but could not find any circuit below

pete_l

Joined Dec 9, 2008
SORRY
but could not find any circuit below
Thanks for the alert. There's something odd going on here. I posted this from Firefox and the image shows up - it even shows in your reply !. However it doesn't show up in Opera, but I can see it in I.E. Something browser specific seems to have happened.
I've added the circuit as an attachment and it is visible in all 3 browsers (hopefully :))
Sorry for the inconvenience.

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
The LM337 is an adjustable negative regulator.

If you are attempting to output two negative voltages with a common 0v reference point, connecting just A and C together should be fine - as long as the secondary windings are truly separate.

However, if you are attempting to output POSITIVE voltages using the LM337, you will have problems. In that case, modify your design to use LM317 regulators for positive outputs, and LM337 for negative outputs.

mkbutan

Joined Sep 30, 2008
hi
the ckt is visible now
it is possible to connect P1B & P2A
it will be as 3tap winding transformer (P1A;(P1B+P2A);P2B)
it will rate as 6-0-6 V AC or 12-0-12 V AC or 06-0-12 V AC
you can use with two BR. Diodes
and the o/p will be X-GND-X
where X is point A & C and GND will be B & D.