Transformer Isolation

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by Vasanthkini, Jun 21, 2010.

1. Vasanthkini

Thread Starter Member

Jun 9, 2010
    Hey :) !

I understand the fact that the isolation transformers if used,the safety factor of the system dramatically shoots up.They even say if a person touches one single point on the secondary side of the isolation transformer,the person does not experience the electric shock! That actually shocks me.Can any one explain why is this so?
  2. R!f@@

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 2, 2009
    The secondary is completely Isolated. Touching either output from a secondary does not provide a return path to ground even though you are grounded.
    Without a close circuit, no current flows.

So as the name implies, It is isolated..

Picture you holding a piece of wire in ur hand, and that you are moving it across a magnetic field. Do you think you will feel anything if you are holding just one end of the wire. It is same as not touching it.
    Vasanthkini likes this.
  3. sceadwian

Jun 1, 2009
    This is not generally something to experiment around with, there is more than one way a circuit can be connected to a ground reference besides the incoming power, especially if the voltage is high, so don't go trying to feel around the inside of a high voltage power supply that has an isolation transformer on it if you don't know exactly what you're doing.

Think about how a transformer works, there is no actual electrically conductive connection between anything on the primary side and anything on the secondary if it's designed properly. The coupling is through the electromagnetic field induced into the space surrounding the coils and the core material of the transformer which is generally insulated laminated steel, or in some case sinterd ferrite materials. When I first started learning about electronics that little tidbit of information really blew my mind knowing that no wire was required for distant electric current flow (at least AC)
    Vasanthkini likes this.
  4. GetDeviceInfo

Jun 7, 2009
    You havent mentioned what specifically you are working with, but be very careful. The NEC specifies that all power sources must be taken to ground at the source. This includes step down secondaries. Secondaries may not have the voltage, but they make up for it in current, not fun. As well, current transformers that are opened can be extremely dangerous because of their high voltage potential. If you are getting a shock, step back, highlight the hazard, and call someone qualified.
  5. studiot

AAC Fanatic!

Nov 9, 2007
    We have been through this issue several times at great length.

Try a forum search.
  6. Vasanthkini

Thread Starter Member

Jun 9, 2010
    Thanks All :)