Transformer impedance

erlend

Joined Feb 8, 2008
Could someone please tell me the difference between these two transformers?
1. Primary impedance of 200 ohms and a secondary impedance of 1 ohm,
2. Primary impedance of 200 kOhms and a secondary impedance of 1 kOhm.

In my understanding of a step-up/down transformer both of these should affect the voltage (and current) by the same amount, since their coils-ratio is the same. Is the difference just in the power?

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
I would expect that one of them is physically larger and is wound with larger diameter wire. As I am sure you are aware inductance varies with frequency. The same is true of transformers and it would be nice if we could depend on the spec writers to give us the frequency at which the impedance was measured. Sadly you have to plumb the datasheet to find the answer.

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
Is this resistance measured or a specified?
Audio transformers often have a stated impedance, depending upon the type of circuit they are in. It determines the signal voltage they can tolerate based upon their power rating.

Hypatia's Protege

Joined Mar 1, 2015
Could someone please tell me the difference between these two transformers?
1. Primary impedance of 200 ohms and a secondary impedance of 1 ohm,
2. Primary impedance of 200 kOhms and a secondary impedance of 1 kOhm.

In my understanding of a step-up/down transformer both of these should affect the voltage (and current) by the same amount, since their coils-ratio is the same. Is the difference just in the power?
To render a sensible response we'd need to know the Z form (i.e. parallel equivalent or series equivalent)

If, on the other hand, this is a theoretic question and we may substitute L (as derived from XL) for Z then for an inductance ratio=1:200 the transformation/turns ratio will be ~14:1 in both cases... Of course the external matching networks would be quite different (each transformer).

Note also that (Re: electromagnetic transformers) power handling is, essentially, a structural characteristic.

Best regards
HP
PS do I hear you crying "apples and oranges"? -- well, like I said, 'to render sensible responses...' :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Joined Nov 30, 2010
To render a sensible response we'd need to know
PS do I hear you crying "apples and oranges"? -- well, like I said, 'to render sensible responses...' :rolleyes:
I always try to adjust my response to the intellectual level of the question. Often enough, I fail, but often enough, one can imagine exactly which school course this is taught in and try to work at that level of understanding. If you unintentionally insult the Thread Starter, he usually lets you know. :D

erlend

Joined Feb 8, 2008
Thanks for all the replies.

This is just a theoretical question, so apologies for the lack of information. The limit of my understanding is that a step-up transformer puts the voltage up (current down) by the turns ratio (or V1/V2 = N1/N2). Similarly we all know that N1/N2 = sqrt(Z1/Z2), which is why HP gets ~14:1 above.

Imagine that I have two different transformers, 1) secondary impedance of 200 ohms and a primary impedance of 1 ohm and 2) secondary impedance of 200 kOhms and a primary impedance of 1 kOhm. Both will step-up the voltage by the same amount (~14:1) however the current-draw from each is different. The first one will draw more current (and there will be more current from the output. Is this correct?

Joined Nov 30, 2010
This is true, assuming an equal voltage being applied. The 1 ohm primary would need something like a powerful audio amplifier to drive it while the 1K impedance can be driven with a single Class A transistor amplifier.