Transformer help

amilton542

Joined Nov 13, 2010
A few things are baffling me about transformer theory:

"Maximum flux in the core is kept at its rated value by adjusting the voltage and frequency. If the voltage is doubled and the frequency kept constant the tendancy will be for the flux to try and reach double its rated value and will saturate the core. To keep peak flux constant voltage and frequency must be maintained"

This doesnt make sense to me. why arent transmission and distribution transformers going into saturation? The frequency is constant from generation through to distribution and there operating at different voltages, so voltage and frequency isn't being maintained to keep peak flux at its rated value

Kermit2

Joined Feb 5, 2010
Something is missing from that explanation.

CURRENT plays a huge part in determining flux levels, but seems to be absent here

amilton542

Joined Nov 13, 2010
oops i think ive looked to much into the ideal transformer under no load with zero reluctance which draws no magnetising current, i think i was an under an illusion the same goes for the real transformer.
I presume in the real transformer the primary MMF that will aid the demagnetising affect because of the secondary is what maintains the magnetising current to prevent saturation?