transformer design

cboehm

Joined Dec 31, 1969
i'm having trouble locating a transformer that suites the needs of my project. where can i get a 1500 VA 110V to 3.5kV set up transformer?

mik3

Joined Feb 4, 2008
i'm having trouble locating a transformer that suites the needs of my project. where can i get a 1500 VA 110V to 3.5kV set up transformer?
Search for companies and ask them if they can manufacture one for you. Some companies may be able to manufacture it but it will be expensive because it will be just for you. Another solution is to combine two transformers (or maybe more) to achieve your requirements. Of course you have to take care of the power factor of each transformer as to calculate the proper power rating of each of them. By combining transformers will cost you on efficiency but you will make your job.

thingmaker3

Joined May 16, 2005
cboehm, if you know what you are doing, then you will certainly agree with the following:

The voltage and power levels under discussion here are extremely dangerous. EMF in excess of 2KV does not follow the same rules of thumb as EMF of 600V or below. Many resistive materials, including air, break down at those potentials. fDo not attempt a project of this nature without a full and complete understanding of the safety precautions and safety equipment unique to high voltage high power projects.

On an unrelated note: the Feedback and Suggestions forum is for feedback and suggestions. For all other matters, please register and use the appropriate forum. Thank you.

masteropie

Joined May 17, 2008
Would a 2kv microwave oven transformer work?

If not you could get a high frequency transformer from a newer model microwaves uses a switching power supply. You could control the voltage from by varying pulse width according to output sensed by a voltage divider on the output of the transformer. This would give you a 0-2000v supply ideally. This could be doubled to give 0-4000v.

If this transformer is for a tube amp or something you need a nice looking transformer for you could always wind your own. Lamination are hard to get. The smallest minimum quantity i know of is 200lbs. http://www.laminationspecialties.com/ you will have to use quadruple build wire, butcher paper between each layer of secondary windings, and vacuum impregnate at the end with varnish (modified pressure cooker and a ac vacuum pump will do). Winding transformers is a pain.

I agree with thingmaker3 also, these voltages are ridiculously dangerous. If you make a mistake your done. 120v is laughable compared to 2kv. Especially if your planing to filter the output of 2kv@60hz to DC. The capacitors needed will probably store enough energy to vaporize all the wires in your whole project if shorted.