Transformer Choppy DC output

solomar

Joined Mar 12, 2009
Hello everyone, in my physics class we are starting to do a generator project.
So far my basic setup was to include a step up transformer so I can store it in high voltage capacitors, and I was going to do the diamond diode setup so that you get lumpy dc current as the output. I have heard however that with ac power and a transformer you can make it output three sine waves that are all slightly out of phase, and THEN you can inverse the bottom. This would increase the amplitude and make it lumpy DC...and if I did that instead of just using the four diodes to make it lumpy then I would increase the voltage a LOT.

I know this is possible I just may be using the wrong words I would be happy to draw a vague idea if I'm not making any sense, but do any of you have any ideas as to what I could do?

I'd be allowed to use IC's and anything else really.

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
Hello everyone, in my physics class we are starting to do a generator project.
So far my basic setup was to include a step up transformer so I can store it in high voltage capacitors, and I was going to do the diamond diode setup...
I believe you mean a "bridge rectifier"
... so that you get lumpy dc current as the output.
Rectified AC; un-filtered DC.
I have heard however that with ac power and a transformer you can make it output three sine waves that are all slightly out of phase...
You're talking about 3-phase AC power; this isn't typically available at a residence (home); it's used in industry and aviation.
... and THEN you can inverse the bottom. This would increase the amplitude and make it lumpy DC...and if I did that instead of just using the four diodes to make it lumpy then I would increase the voltage a LOT.
Not really.

I know this is possible ...
How?
I just may be using the wrong words I would be happy to draw a vague idea if I'm not making any sense, but do any of you have any ideas as to what I could do?
Putting your ideas into a schematic diagram is a good start.

I'd be allowed to use IC's and anything else really.
What voltage level were you planning on attaining?

We are very safety concious here at AAC. Charging capacitors to high voltage levels represents a lot of stored energy that could be inadvertently released with lethal results.

We like to see "noobs" stay at under 50v for a good period of time.

solomar

Joined Mar 12, 2009
It's not going to be a project where we just plug it in and see what happens for giggles and fun, our physics teacher knows what he is doing, if anyone is about to do something stupid he will catch it.

How do I know its possible? You just said the industrial and aviation electronics uses the 3 phases that I mentioned.

As for safety don't be worried, I'm not the only person working on this and everything will be verified. You can assume it is a project with some professionalism worked into it =]

Does anyone have any links that I could see for research? Anything about electromagnetic generators would be good (yes google is my friend but forums are as well)