transformation of independant variable

Discussion in 'Homework Help' started by bhuvanesh, Feb 16, 2015.

1. bhuvanesh

Thread Starter Member

Aug 10, 2013
    i am learning signals and system from yesterday. Today i have crossed topic called"transformation on independent variable ". Under that there is 1)time scaling 2)time shifting 3)time reversal

i would like to know where we use this operation. Myself found that time scaling is used when we need to compress date(time compression) and when we want to recover the compressed data(expanison).

But i want to know that application or where we use the time shifting and time reversal.Thank you in advance
  2. WBahn

Mar 31, 2012
    They are mathematical operations that have general applicability. As your title indicates, you are really talking about an independent variable as opposed to just "time" specifically.

If you want something (the dependent variable) to occur at a different location (determined by the independent variable) then you shift it. If you need it to happen in the opposite direction, you reverse it.

Sometimes these simply come about as part of the mathematical manipulations, as you have or will shortly see happens when you do convolution.
    bhuvanesh likes this.
  3. bhuvanesh

Thread Starter Member

Aug 10, 2013
    okay and i dont think opening new topic for the question

1)could some give me example for discrete signals and digital signals?