Transferring files over bluetooth from stored data

FlexedCookie

Joined Oct 1, 2014
Hi all,

So I've got a bit of a project that Im looking for some suggestions with.
Essentially, I have a data logger out on remote bit of property. Every day I drive out there and retrieve the stored data physically by serial. I figured, I can make up a little device that lets me wirelessly grab the data from the comfort of my car as a stop next to it.

What I was thinking:
- Solar powered battery pack for power supply
- Arduino to periodically grab the data from the data logger
- Bluetooth attachment for the arduino
- I drive past, connect my laptop through the bluetooth connection and download the data that the arduino grabbed earlier
- Have the arduino clear its memory after to save on memory space

I'm halfway through a Mechatronics Engineering degree so I'm familiar with these sorts of projects/ the ability to research and teach myself, but I'm looking for any advice, or any problems that you guys might think I'll run into.

Cheers :)

JDT

Joined Feb 12, 2009
It is very easy to buy serial-to-bluetooth devices (plenty on ebay). Your laptop may already have a bluetooth device inside. If so, you only have to add a serial-to-bluetooth device on to your data-logger and you will have a wireless serial connection. Without getting out of the car.

Bluetooth is very short range though. only a metre or so. And won't work through the metal of the car. So you will have to pull up close!