Transferring files over bluetooth from stored data

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by FlexedCookie, Mar 29, 2015.

1. FlexedCookie

Thread Starter New Member

Oct 1, 2014
    Hi all,

So I've got a bit of a project that Im looking for some suggestions with.
    Essentially, I have a data logger out on remote bit of property. Every day I drive out there and retrieve the stored data physically by serial. I figured, I can make up a little device that lets me wirelessly grab the data from the comfort of my car as a stop next to it.

What I was thinking:
    - Solar powered battery pack for power supply
    - Arduino to periodically grab the data from the data logger
    - Bluetooth attachment for the arduino
    - I drive past, connect my laptop through the bluetooth connection and download the data that the arduino grabbed earlier
    - Have the arduino clear its memory after to save on memory space

I'm halfway through a Mechatronics Engineering degree so I'm familiar with these sorts of projects/ the ability to research and teach myself, but I'm looking for any advice, or any problems that you guys might think I'll run into.

Cheers :)
  2. JDT

Feb 12, 2009
    It is very easy to buy serial-to-bluetooth devices (plenty on ebay). Your laptop may already have a bluetooth device inside. If so, you only have to add a serial-to-bluetooth device on to your data-logger and you will have a wireless serial connection. Without getting out of the car.

Bluetooth is very short range though. only a metre or so. And won't work through the metal of the car. So you will have to pull up close!