transducer wiring to digital read out

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by bomrat, Mar 26, 2014.

1. bomrat

Thread Starter New Member

Dec 13, 2009
    hi, i have a transducer , it is 24v in, 1-6vdc out.
    i wire the transducer to the power and check output with a multimeter and i get the .98v on the output leg, if i put the digital readout on gnd and the output leg it won't display. do i need a resistor inline? and if so what value, 10k?
    thanks

2. strantor

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 3, 2010
    Transducer part number? Display part number? Quick draw a wiring diagram?

3. bomrat

Dec 13, 2009
    hi, heres the drawing
    thanks

4. shteii01

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 19, 2010
    The one time I worked with pressure transducer, the part info mentioned 5 kOhm or greater load, but I did not really pay attention because I had it hooked up to op-amp which by its nature has really high input resistance so I assumed that transducer was seeing a really large resistor load.

Bottom line. Check transducer info for what it needs or contact manufacturer.

5. strantor

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 3, 2010
    Transducer part number?

6. bomrat

Dec 13, 2009
    keller pa=21sr transducer

7. Dodgydave

Distinguished Member

Jun 22, 2012
    like this

you need to put 5 bar pressure on it to get it to work.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2014
  8. bomrat

Dec 13, 2009
    ok ill try that
    thankns

9. strantor

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 3, 2010
    Where do you see that info? The datasheet for the PA21SR shows that it comes in several ranges from 1 to 600 bar. Overpressure limit for the 1 bar model is 3 bar. Hopefully OP will check his model/rating before applying 5 bar.

It sounds like you're bench testing (no pressure applied to transducer) so .98V is correct and should be expected from a transducer with specified 1-6V range.

Your drawing shows a two-wire "LCD readout 0-30VDC" meter from MPJA.com. I could not find a two wire digital meter on MPJA.com with those specs, and I seriously doubt that such a thing exists. A digital meter must have sufficient voltage to power itself before it can measure anything. It is more likely that you have one of the only (2) two-wire digital 30V meter models offered by MPJA; the larger 4.5-30VDC meters, in red, blue, and green, or the smaller 3.5-30VDC model in red, blue, and green.

You need to be using a 3 wire meter like this.