Transducer/sensor: dumb question

Brian Robson

Joined Nov 13, 2014
My brain can't think today. I am writing a report and can't think of the term to use for the translation of an electrical signal to a real world measurement. i.e. at 50 psi pressure you get a 5v signal is 100mv/psi. In the paper I just refer to it as capability - "we characterize and quantify the sensor capabilities".

But it's not really the capabilities... it's more like the translation or the conversion? But those don't sound right to me. What would you call it?

Joined Nov 30, 2010
I don't know. Next helper, please.

The problem with me is that, "transfer function" is not well defined in my mind.
I know what to do with 100mv/PSI but I don't know what to call it.

ian field

Joined Oct 27, 2012
My brain can't think today. I am writing a report and can't think of the term to use for the translation of an electrical signal to a real world measurement. i.e. at 50 psi pressure you get a 5v signal is 100mv/psi. In the paper I just refer to it as capability - "we characterize and quantify the sensor capabilities".

But it's not really the capabilities... it's more like the translation or the conversion? But those don't sound right to me. What would you call it?
Is it "transfer curve"?