Traingle wave generator IC

k2n2a2

Joined Jul 16, 2012
Hello,

I am looking for an IC that generates triangular wave with frequency range from 1KHz to 100KHz. I looked at many ICs and the thing I didn't like is that the frequency is set either through a fixed resistor or a pot.
Is there a triangle wave generator chip whose frequency can be set/adjusted through an analog voltage directly.

Thank you.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
I don't think so. There used to be a handful of function generator chips, but they have been obsolete for a decade or more. They are available on auction sites for princely sums. My suggestion is to build one from basic parts by integrating the output of a square wave VCO.

You might also try DDS (Direct Digital Synthesis) with a first order hold.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
My suggestion is to build one from basic parts by integrating the output of a square wave VCO.
+1 Another, sloppier approach would be to use the voltage on top of a 555's timing capacitor. IT's not quite a triangle but awfully close for most uses.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Do you need a symmetrical triangle wave, or will a linear ramp work? There are 555 circuits that will do this.

Here is what the earlier post was alluding to:

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Especially when there are many ways to skin this cat. If the OP finds what I have shown unacceptable I can dig up other circuits. Triangle waves are both easy and bread and butter to electronics.

k2n2a2

Joined Jul 16, 2012
So why do you need a voltage controlled frequency? :confused:
PWM is normall fixed frequency with variable duty-cycle.
well, both the PWM frequency and duty cycle need to be controlled, because this PWM will control a high voltage pulse generator, which need to operate at different frequencies as well as different duty cycles.

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
The ICL8038 could be used as a VCO. And the NTE IC I pointed you to. Is in fact a ICL8038. If this is some one of i kind project. I say why not get some ICL8038 from EBAY. Better than getting the same chip from NTE