Traffic Light Controller Help

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by cskid, Dec 4, 2013.

1. cskid

Thread Starter New Member

Dec 4, 2013
    Hi everybody, i am new to the forums and i am currently in need of extreme help as the semester is ending and our professor dropped a bombshell of a surprise with a last minute lab project to do in a week before the semester ends during the finals week. Crazy right? Well i been trying to figure out how to start it, i'm not the best at digital logic or circuits but i do try my best to understand it.

so far from what i have gathered is we need to start off is that we need to make a state table to determine the minimum number of states?
    i have attached that file so hopefully i did that part right, now what follows is what confuses me.

Am i suppose to make a karnaugh map to get the Sop? and if so would it be a 4 variable one with just the Red, yellow, green, and left turn variable lights?

And then later on from the state table how do i make them into a d flip flop? i know i need like 3 flip flops correct? 2 states is 1 flip flop?

2. cskid

Dec 4, 2013
    ok well i made some modifications , ignore the state table in the first post. the state table that i currently have is this which i have attached. can somebody check if it is right? the inputs are the reset and the northsouth left turn sensors and eastwest turn sensors. from this step i need to make a karnaugh map to get the variable equations to make a circuit with flip flops. probably jk or dflip flops.

3. tcmtech

Nov 4, 2013
    This is considered a bombshell level project now? :rolleyes:

In my industrial PLC training class this was a under 50 lines program we had to figure out by the fourth day of a 10 day 100 hour training seminar and that was back in the mid 1990's. :p

4. cskid

Dec 4, 2013
    well i am not really good at circuits so any help would be appreciated

5. cskid

Dec 4, 2013
    anybody at all?