Traffic Lighst with a few extras!

GRNDPNDR

Joined Mar 1, 2012
Your diagram is correct, but the 74LS190 is missing VCC and GND pins in the diagram, so if the program you're using to simulate it automatically provides voltage to that chip then there might be an option to set what voltage it sees.

I'll post a diagram shortly, I'm going to try the diagram using the 555 timer circuit as it's setup in your diagram.

joshs.213

Joined Jan 30, 2013
Ah right I think I get what you mean now. That's good of you.
I may not reply until morning now, but I'd like to thank you again for all your help!

GRNDPNDR

Joined Mar 1, 2012
Multisim just crashed on me anyway, but your timer circuit seems to work fine as well HOWEVER, the wiper on the pot needs to connect to the timer pins, and the 3rd terminal on the pot needs to be grounded.

after that it should work fine.

GRNDPNDR

Joined Mar 1, 2012
Heres a diagram, it's basically the same as yours except the pot. The wiper is connected to the clock pin on the 74LS190, and the last pin is grounded.

The only thing I notice with this circuit is;
1) it cycles through green, yellow, red, but also does it backwards. when changing from red to green it shouldn't activate yellow. the cycle should go green yellow red green yellow red. right now it's going green yellow red yellow green.

2) Green and yellow are on at the same time when cycling from green to yellow to red.

This may be how the circuit is designed, but it isn't how real traffic lights work.

Attachments

joshs.213

Joined Jan 30, 2013
Ah right okay. I think I get what you mean now. What do you mean by 'wiper' and what exactly do I need to amend on my diagram as the two are slightly different.

(Sorry, I'm a little slow at picking things up sometimes)

GRNDPNDR

Joined Mar 1, 2012
The wiper is the middle pin. It's the part that you turn basically. That is where the adjustable resistance comes from.

On your diagram the ARROW on the pot should be pin 2, that's what should be connected to the timer.

But I think the program your using only uses 2 pins for the pot assuming that the 3rd isn't used....it's an odd little program and incorrectly represents a pot.

joshs.213

Joined Jan 30, 2013
Ah right I see now thank you.

Just to be sure then, what exactly do I have to do to the circuit to make it function with buzzers as I require?

Cheers

GRNDPNDR

Joined Mar 1, 2012
Ah right I see now thank you.

Just to be sure then, what exactly do I have to do to the circuit to make it function with buzzers as I require?

Cheers
wire them in parallel with the lights :) multisim doesn't have buzzers but the output to the LEDs is 5v, so connect your buzzers before the 220ohm resistors, and after the LEDs (to ground)

it works in simulation with indicator lamps, so should work with buzzers too.

Last edited:

joshs.213

Joined Jan 30, 2013
Sorry I haven't replied recently. I think I may drop the idea of adding buzzers. Possibly, I could incorporate an LDR instead? Does anyone have any other ideas of how I could amend this circuit to make it a bit more unique?

Thanks