Track width of Single sided PCB

Spade

Joined Jan 20, 2014
Hi all,

It's been a while since I was constructing PCBs so I need a small bit of advice.

I have designed and simulated an RF filter that works in the FM range (So a fairly high Wavelength).

I have made it on a single sided PCB and therefore I expect the track width to affect the desired impedance of 50 ohm.

I've looked at many web pages and they explain about track width of microstrip (double sided PCB), but it's very difficult to find any on just plain and simple single sided.

So does it matter, especially at frequencies fairly low with regards to HF microstrip design?

If it does I guess there is a calculation to solve this.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Kermit2

Joined Feb 5, 2010
RF circuit design is hard to make rules for. It truly is an art. We could give you suggestions that seem logical, but layout of signal lines and interactions with power and ground traces seldom obey logic. If you have areas that you think may be sensitive to stray signal pick up, I would suggest you read material on 'input guarding'. Basically it is a method to surround an area of interest with a ground trace. Doing this on a single sided board might best be done with some coax jumpers.