Track Pins anyone?

ajhoward

Joined Nov 16, 2011
Hey there

Does anyone know where I can buy a small amount of track pins for vias on a surface mount board, preferably in Australia?. I am attempting my first surface mount board and would like to use these rather than wire, if possible. 50 or so would last me for ages.

Andrew

ajhoward

Joined Nov 16, 2011
Yeah, that's the ones I mean, the Harwin Track Pins. I have been searching the net for some and can only find them at Mouser, Element14 and X-On Electronics and they only stock them in 500 or 2500. It's $40 for 500 and $80 for 2500 and then shipping which is usually a set rate regardless of weight. I thought somebody might have some already and would like to sell some, never mind.

nerdegutta

Joined Dec 15, 2009
When I'm doing a doublesided board, I connect the layers with cut-offs from LEDs, resistors and capacitors.

Here you'll see a doublesided board, and cut-offs used as vias.

ajhoward

Joined Nov 16, 2011
How does it go as far as soldering the wire, when you solder one side does melt the other side as well, so you have to touch it up again?

nerdegutta

Joined Dec 15, 2009
It works fine. I drill my holes with 0.7mm drill bits. The cut-offs are squeezed flat in one side, so it doesn't fall through the hole. I solder that side first. After that I cut off the rest sticking out on the other side, and solder that. The board in the picture is 0,6mm thick, and I didn't need to "touch-up" the fist side.