"Trace how cache is used when a program accesses the following series of addresses in order"

Discussion in 'Homework Help' started by Gonzalo Armbrust, Jul 10, 2015.

1. Gonzalo Armbrust

Thread Starter New Member

Jun 28, 2015
    I have been encountering some difficulty understanding how to trace cache when accessing a series of addresses, the following is an example problem:

"Suppose we have a byte-addressable computer with a cache that holds 8 blocks of 4 bytes each. Assuming that each memory address has 8 bits and cache is originally empty, for each of the cache mapping techniques, direct mapping, fully associative and 2-way associative, trace how cache is used when a program accesses the following series of addresses in order: 0x01,0x04,0x09,0x05,0x14 and 0x01"

I'm struggling with how the 2-way associative mapping is set up, I understand that the first block in each set is filled first with memory, so 0x00 - 0x03 would be in set 1, first block,

0x04-0x07 would be in the second set, first block

0x08 - 0x0B would be in the first block third set

and 0x0c to 0x0f would be in the first block, 4th set

however, I am confused by the second block of the first set, wouldn't 0x10-0x13 be stored since that what is followed by the hexadecimal numbering system as opposed to 0x20 - 0x23??

I am not sure if I am understanding this correctly, I have attached pictures to help clarify.