TQFP Reverse Socket. Atmega 8A 2u.

mohitjindal

Joined May 25, 2009
Hi,
Please see the photo i attached. It is 32 pin atmega 8a tqfp ic. I want to access its 4 pins. Is there any reverse socket or pin grab hooks so that i can access pins/legs from top.
I don't want to remove the IC.

Attachments

kubeek

Joined Sep 20, 2005
Old motors, solenoids, transformers, you name it.
How did you manage to do that? You need to have the wire tinned, then just add a bit of flux and you should be able to temporarily attach the wire with just one touch of the soldering iron.
But I can see on the other pads that you are probably using way too much heat an hold it there for too long.

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
Could you indicate what 4 pins you need to grab on the pic? Since you already have 2 scrap boards you could use them as templates to make a pogo pin holder.

That's a board with spring loaded pins you place over your target to pick up some points to probe, drive, whatever you need to do.

Last edited:

mohitjindal

Joined May 25, 2009
I want to access pins 2; 4 ; 13 and 14. But I saw the photo of pogo pins.I think they are used to fit in holes not above the tiny legs of IC.
Also please tell me how to make magnet wires "tinned" ?

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
Looks like...

pin 1: is common to the top pad of unpopulated R21. Larger target then pin itself.

pin 6: is common to pin 4 and to via below R21. Uninsulated vias such as that make very good probe points.

pin 13: shows not trace... dead board may be better to check if you can remove the IC.

pin 14: trace to some part to the right, can't see any marking on that part but tab may be better probe point then pin itself.

You have the board to check if this is true.

kubeek

Joined Sep 20, 2005
I know the pins are quite close together, but you said you have more boards on which you could practice the soldering.
Also does the board have some components on the other side? What is that green thing in the schematic?

takao21203

Joined Apr 28, 2012
What kind of soldering iron do you have? Does it have temperature regulation?
Yes it has full regulation, soldering station.

For desoldering TQFP ICs, I crank it up a bit, and I use lead solder.
Filling up all 4 sides of the IC with solder, then melting them up in succession until I can lift off the IC.

Done even with TQFP80.

The IC won't burn from that.

Then hold at 90 degree and pull off the solder from all the pins.

mohitjindal

Joined May 25, 2009
I want to solder wire on 4 legs. Not desoldering.
I have 8watt micro tip solder iron.
Yes i want to access the black ic having 32 legs.

takao21203

Joined Apr 28, 2012
OK.

1. Use a tiny piece of proto PCB + superglue it to the chip upside down.
2. Solder cut solid wire for instance from LEDs into the proto piece holes.
3. Bend these wires until they almost touch the IC pin from the top.
4. Make the solder connection.

It is much more doable than magnet wire, or any kind of cable.

SOLID WIRE is the key factor.
HOLDING IT IN PLACE + BENDING IT.

You only need a bit superglue, don't attach it permanently.