Toy Gun Supply Suggestions

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by Namenda, May 11, 2011.

1. Namenda

Thread Starter New Member

May 11, 2011
    Hey guys! I'm new here and with electronics but my friend and I want to make a pair of Star Wars blasters replicas. Compared to most things here it will be very basic. The goal of the electronics will be when the trigger is pressed a line of LEDs light up but with a delay to each one so it follows up the barrel and when it gets to the top a sound from the movie is played.

Because of this delay I was thinking that I would need a mircocontroller. I've never used one before but I was looking at a Aurdino Uno to do this but it seems like a waste to use it with how much potential it has. Plus because of either how when it stands alone it doesn't have much battery life (with a 9V) or when it turns on it has a 5 second delay to run the code I don't see how to get around it. If there is another uC or a way to do this delay up the barrel I would love to know how. I've never used a uC but I am a pretty tech savy guy so I should be able to figure it out.

Along with that I'm not sure what materials I would need to play custom mp3/wav files so any suggestions are great!

Thanks in advance!
  2. russpatterson

Feb 1, 2010
    There are cheaper uC's to use. I've heard the PICaxe is a good one for beginners. If it was me I'd use a an 8-bit, 8-pin PIC like the 12f683, and make a custom board for the project. There's a lot of overhead to get to that point. Check out the article on the ebook part of this site on LED's, chasers etc. There's some easy ways to do the delay's your after with RC timing (Resitor/capacitor pairs). You can control the charge/discharge rate by varying the values of those components. So you could do this w/out a uC.

For the sound, the easiest thing I can think of is something like the mp3trigger from They sell lots of breakout boards that you might find useful.