Toxic Components

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by buzaiandras, May 27, 2012.

  1. buzaiandras

    Thread Starter Member

    Jul 18, 2011
    54
    0
    Hi,

    I know this is an old post but I have a related question (not sure if I should open another thread for this).
    Some time ago, by mistake, I managed to burn two 5mm LED's (one red and one green, connected to 5V without current limiting). There was some smoke and I smelled a weird burnt smell. It is possible that the toxic gases were released from the epoxy enclosure? I read that some of the gases contained in the LED's are carcinogenic. Should I be concerned for my health?

    Thank you.
     
  2. Wendy

    Moderator

    Mar 24, 2008
    20,766
    2,536
    Yep, you should open another thread if in doubt.

    You should be concerned, but don't get ridiculous about it. Gallium Arsenide are both extremely toxic (gallium and arsenic), but what you were smelling was probably epoxy. Still not something you want to ingest, I am sure.

    The amount of epoxy is very large compared to the innards though.
     
  3. buzaiandras

    Thread Starter Member

    Jul 18, 2011
    54
    0
    Thank you,
    I do hope that it was only the epoxy smell :).
    I think that burning LED's are a common beginner mistakes, and probably everybody burnt at leas one LED at some point. Maybe I won't be so unlucky to get intoxicated with Gallium Arsenide :) (by accidentally smelling the burnt LEDs).
     
  4. Wendy

    Moderator

    Mar 24, 2008
    20,766
    2,536
    The odds of you penetrating the plastic are pretty slim. I suspect fire would be involved. Before that would happen the little wire inside the device, that connects one of the leads to it, would simply fuse open.

    Among other things the AAC book shows the construction of 5mm LEDs, Which I suspect you would probably find interesting.

    http://www.allaboutcircuits.com/vol_3/chpt_3/12.html

    It is about ¼ the way down the chapter.
     
  5. bertus

    Administrator

    Apr 5, 2008
    15,649
    2,348
    PackratKing likes this.
  6. electronis whiz

    Well-Known Member

    Jul 29, 2010
    519
    27
    never knew leds could be unless the plastic was burned but capacitors (electrolitics), lithium batteries, mercury switches, lead solder, lead.
     
Loading...