Tough Times - UK

Nanophotonics

Joined Apr 2, 2009
Hello again,

It's been a while since my last post here. I have been busy seeking a job with no great success, though I received an offer to start as a software engineer in May 2011. Have tried being a salesman to support my income, doing business to business, and got fired twice for not meeting sales targets. I guess I wasn't born to be a salesman after all.

The country is going through a hard phase, with a recent vote to increase tuition fees, immigration cut for Non-EU citizens, and poor employment prospects for electronics engineers. Drastic measures are being taken by the local government. How are you guys doing in the US and other countries? Are there any prospects for the locals and foreigners, electronics engineers in particular? I might consider working overseas in the near future, but I guess there are lots of conditions when it comes to crossing borders.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
I saw some of the tough times on TV a couple of days ago. The "commoners" were having a riot about tripling the cost of University when a couple of "Royals" were chauffered through the crowd in their Rolls-Royce.

Yep. Tough times all over.

tom66

Joined May 9, 2009
It's ridiculous as I'm looking near £50k to go through university instead of about £12k. I'll be paying off debts forever. They are also cutting back on EMA (educational maintenance allowance, about £120/month) so money's getting tight. And I don't think it will be pretty for the UK in the future. The government lied, like all governments do.

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
I didn't think I was a saleman either the secret is to keep going
back to all the places that you are sent.There have been people
before you,the day you don't show up is the day they needed
something and they had to call your company. Sales you never
give up. If your company has a product they have used before
they will always be a possible buyer,they will buy cheaper stuff,but will
return when there customer wants your products. This a great
economy for sales jobs,I always bought something from my favorite
route saleman,he aways had a point system for tools or extra parts bonus
for buying I still have a set of silver in a nice case receieved from a route
saleman. A good saleman find what you use and sales at a discount,you
expect him at a certain time on certain day. Being a saleman will help you
find yourself and make you a stronger person, The no solicitor sign mean
no..no.. enter

GetDeviceInfo

Joined Jun 7, 2009
you might consider getting into the petroleum industry. Right now in western Canada, they are recalling thier engineering force in a big way. I know of several companies who are active in expanding thier markets in Europe, Asia, and many offshore locations.

We still have quite a workforce to absorb, but we could be into a skill shortage here soon. Reminiscent of most of 2000.

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
How to create jobs is a chance for someone,the government would fund
a good plan to create jobs. How would you take on this important assignment.
Most states have the same problem, sorry this is for U.S. jobs.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Funding education makes sense locally (though not for people outside the country). In the long run an educated workforce earns more money, which translates into taxes. Wonder why politicians can't see that?

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Wonder why politicians can't see that?
Because Ponzi schemes don't work and eventually the government runs out of other people's money (OPM, pronounced like "opium") to spend.

That theory might work, if only a small percentage of the population expected to go to secondary school. That is, the percentage doesn't exceed the number of high paying jobs available.

Portugul
Ireland
Greece
Spain

And, Italy and England (to a lesser degree) are discovering the radical new fact that over unity doesn't work, neither in mechanics nor governmental funding. The options are a slave nation, like China, or a free nation. I prefer the latter.

The governments of those nations have not lied to the people. The people were just too dumb to realize the truth and voted for what they are getting now. The US is not exempt from that either.

John

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
OK, but how is this a Ponzi scheme, you assume a lot there? Education pays big for everyone in the long run.

Talk about a slave state, do you honestly think the lifestyle of flipping burgers for life is going to benefit the state in taxes or the individual? The days of having employment where you can pay your bills with a high school education is long gone, since there are no jobs available. Fact is, all those jobs have been outsourced by companies with the blessings of the same politicians who moan about it now. Meanwhile those individuals who can't make a sustainable living tap into every program they can out of necessity, instant welfare state.

If a company does most of its manufacturing outside the United States it shouldn't get any tax benefits, as they are a drag, not a benefit, to our country.

Low interest loans work too, but the government let that be outsourced. Surprise! They weren't low interest any more.

Nanophotonics

Joined Apr 2, 2009
The same has been happening here. Manufacturing has been outsourced. You will find a lot of software opportunities, unlike electronics. Companies are investing in intellectual property, renting out offices, buying some relatively cheap software and hiring engineers to write application software. Setting up a factory to design and manufacture electronic circuits would cost too much. Some would invest in countries where labour is cheaper so they can afford hiring the people there, get them do the job and come back home selling a finished product at a much higher cost. Again, labour is being outsourced benefiting mostly investors. If you're a cunning businessman, you might very well be able to pull yourself out of this economic mess.

The government is encouraging foreigners to invest in the country. However, joining the EU, in my opinion, was probably a mistake. EU citizens have almost the same legal rights as British citizens, paying the same "home" tuition fees and in addition, being given grant and loan. Non-EU students pay around £10k and up to £25k for medical courses yearly, so that is money into the country. Too much grant has also been provided to people in unemployment. Some people have not been working for over decades, because of the simple fact that their grant would make them earn more money than actually going to work. Terrible to hear yet true.

We are hearing about spending cuts everywhere. People need to be more conscious about spending and earning, as numbers don't lie.

Last edited:

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
These trade treadies gives our right to other countries, you got E.U.
the U.S. got N.A.F.T.A.Treadies are hard to break. If we all started
our own small business it wouldn't help,it would at least a million jobs
to make differents.

Nanophotonics

Joined Apr 2, 2009
Politicians are great minds. They do their best for the country, with the exception of some. However, doing the "right" thing is always difficult. Very often, there is a lack of control over the "system" as it is too complex to handle, even for the politicians since they are not dictators.

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
I think the bad times have taught us,money..the bankers control our lives.
We need to educate our self more about the world bank. Most of the big money
have gone to keep banks and government open and no body has equity to borrow because the
decrease in the value of homes that was good for loans.

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
Politicians are great minds. They do their best for the country, with the exception of some. However, doing the "right" thing is always difficult. Very often, there is a lack of control over the "system" as it is too complex to handle, even for the politicians since they are not dictators.
Other than the first sentenance, I agree with your assessment.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
The assertion that eduction is an investment the government can make that produces greater rewards in increased taxes from higher earning individuals sounds good. Unfortunately, that experiment has been done in England, US and elsewhere, and it doesn't work. It is one reason the UK raised tuition. Why keep repeating a failure?

As for politicians having the best interests of the country at heart, politicians don't have hearts. Career politicians are interested only in their careers. That is, getting re-elected and building power.

As for recessions and ways to end them, war is a time-proven way. See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_recessions_in_the_United_States

Wars do end recessions. Politicians are re-elected during wars. The industrial-military complex thrives (See: President Eisenhower's warnings). That's good for politicians. What's there to lose? Oh, maybe some of the non-politicians (soldiers and civilians) get killed. Is anyone surprised that the President's lap dog, Adm. Mullen, is now predicting war? Why is gold at a record high? Does anyone doubt that Wall Street isn't clued in too? I think we are in very dangerous times. By war, I am referring to a war of survival, not an expensive game of footsie like we are playing in Afghanistan.

John

Edit: http://www.foxnews.com/world/2010/12/13/mullen-risk-war-rising-koreas/

Last edited:

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
That is unless war caused the current recession. Typically a modern country would build up a huge war machine go into a recession and fight their way out of it. This is also when people build weapons, and not robots. So everyone pulls together, wipes out some debts, and sparks and economy. Unfortunately those wars are from your generation and not ours. The kind of war tit takes to wipe out a recession will require millions of deaths. In todays media and generation we don't fight like that anymore.
The fact that since WWII the US has not been in a war of survival doesn't mean one won't or can't occur. Certainly, if Israel is attacked, the results will be bloody. We might let South Korea go, but I hope not.

John