touching of ants

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by MegaMan, Mar 8, 2010.

1. MegaMan

Thread Starter Member

Sep 25, 2009
    hello

what is the best way to make an array of 8*8 of touch sensors so that they give the signal to the computer ?

i want to make a pot of sensors to watch the motion of ants ...
    how much would that cost ? , where to buy ?

2. beenthere

Retired Moderator

Apr 20, 2004
    Could you possibly explain what that might be?

3. MegaMan

Thread Starter Member

Sep 25, 2009
    ok , a mechatronics engineering student , my graduation project will be , didn't start working on it yet ...

[ a mechanical arm with pencil hinged at the end effector , it draws from the computer software , the software is made but sure can't talk to any hardware yet ... , ok , the software features a workspace on the pc monitor , here is the old version of the software

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4l6Qko8FPeA

, when we enter the x and y equations it plots them on screen , not suddenly , second by second ]

anyways , another addition is suggested , i also want to make an array of touch sensors to make the arm draw the movements of the ants ... ]

do you understand now ?

edit ::-------------------------

after re-reading the post , i think

is a bit rude , sorry i mean " am i clear now ? " , english isn't my native language .

4. beenthere

Retired Moderator

Apr 20, 2004
    The intent is clear now. I do wonder about the touch sensor, though. How one might be small and sensitive enough to respond to an ant, and how you might track one by that means.

I recall an experiment where a researcher stuck a small piece of a magnet onto a cockroach nymph to observe its motion by use of Hall effect sensors. He found he could see the nymph breathe, and that the insects could not walk and breather at the same time.

Anyway, the granularity is somewhat less using that method. I think this is the issue of Scientific American where the study was presented -
    Using a video camera and a reference grid might be easier to arrange as well.

5. Bernard

AAC Fanatic!

Aug 7, 2008
    How about a grid of photo-detectors with overhead illumination. Sensitivety set for partial sensor blockage. Keypad decoder?

6. Externet

AAC Fanatic!

Nov 29, 2005
    A video camera above a reticle that can be many, many more than 8x8 will be the easiest, fastest, cheapest and with best resolution.
    Video recordings saved on the hard drive will allow you to watch many events on the computer.
    Some program can mark the trail followed and convert to numeric X,Y positioning if you want.

7. MegaMan

Thread Starter Member

Sep 25, 2009
    thanks ...

8. hgmjr

Jan 28, 2005
    How about 16 small lasers and 16 photo-sensors similar to the ones you can get from Sparkfun. Set them up to produce an 8 by 8 grid that would then allow you to locate the ant.

hgmjr

9. hgmjr

Jan 28, 2005
    Here is a link to the laser module that I think would get going.

hgmjr

10. MegaMan

Thread Starter Member

Sep 25, 2009
    hgmjr , isn't a single camera with some software a better idea , less cost , easier , more precise ?

11. retched

AAC Fanatic!

Dec 5, 2009
    It would depend on the resolution of the camera, and there would be some serious software involved.

12. hgmjr

Jan 28, 2005
    Yes, the video approach will certainly provide significantly greater resolution over the laser approach I described. The choice between the two is a factor of your commitment in both money and development time. Your original post lead me to believe that 8 by 8 resolution was adequate, hence my suggestion.

If you have the funding, the time, and the expertise, then I would recommend you go the video route.

Regardless of the approach you select, I do hope you will be able to post the results of your design here in the forum. A study of ant movement sounds quite fascinating.

hgmjr