Touch Sense Help

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by magnadyne, Dec 19, 2008.

1. magnadyne

Thread Starter Member

Mar 4, 2008
    Sorry in advance if this is not the correct place for this...

I have been wanting to make a touch switch panel. The problem is I am not a big electronics person. I understand it, but it is not my profession. In researching capacitive touch sensing it seems easy enough to develope, but I have many many questions that I figure some people on here would think is common sense.

Really at this point I am simply looking for help getting a schematic together. What chip, resistor, caps, etc do I use? Intead of reinventing the wheel would someone on here be willing to help me get this started?

I am looking to make simple 12v DC 8 channel switch board. Touch once to turn on, touch again to turn of. (Not sure if a PIC is going to be needed for this feature or not)

Thanks!

2. beenthere

Retired Moderator

Apr 20, 2004
  3. KMoffett

AAC Fanatic!

Dec 19, 2007
  4. magnadyne

Thread Starter Member

Mar 4, 2008
    The touch switch IC is what I have been looking into. However with that I find myself with more questions.
    How do I make a constant switch out of that? (Touch one for on, touch again for off)
    Since this uses a 5v input, how do power a 12v 30a relay?

Thanks for the help!

5. KMoffett

AAC Fanatic!

Dec 19, 2007
    You will need to have the touch IC's drive some logic IC (CD4013?) that will toggle-on and toggle-off. Then have that drive a transistor that can switch your relay.

Ken