Toshiba 40" LCD shuts off by itself

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by bwilliams60, Dec 3, 2013.

1. bwilliams60

Thread Starter Active Member

Nov 18, 2012
    Good Evening. Looking for anybody that might have information on this television which shuts itself off very quickly after being turned on (seconds). I am just trying to find schematics, common repairs etc. Trying to help out one of my students without much to go on. Any takers? Had a look at power supply board, nothing looks out of order. Couldn't test it though, nothing to go on. Thanks in advance

2. Dr.killjoy

Apr 28, 2013
    Sorry but we need model numbers, pics if possible, is the leds flashing what are they flashing , does the screen come on, how does the caps looks , have you googled the tv to see if anyone has the same problem? ???

3. bountyhunter

Sep 7, 2009
    Typical power supply protect mode. Could be almost any failure to overload the power supply and cause it.

4. ScottWang

Aug 23, 2012
    About the capacitors that you can't judge them just from outward appearance, you have to unsolder them and using the capacitor meter to measure their values, sometimes you need to using the capacitor meter with ESR function.

It could be damaged as the 0.1uf/400V or 100uf/400V or some kinds of the capacitors of similar functions.

5. nigelwright7557

May 10, 2008
    I had a PC power supply go in the same way.
    Would work for a little while and then shut down.
    I bought a new power supply for it.
    It was only when I took the old one out I realised what the problem s was, it was totally clogged with dust.