ToS on LEDs

Discussion in 'Feedback and Suggestions' started by hp1729, Aug 18, 2016.

1. hp1729

Thread Starter Well-Known Member

Nov 23, 2015
    Considering the popularity of line powered LEDs can we ease up a bit on these restrictions? Maybe limit the discussion to commercial products but not hobbyist questions?

2. debe

Sep 21, 2010
    Well there goes a discucion on mains LED bulbs. It wasn't about repairs as to get to the parts the globe is destroyed. Some one asked about heat sink. The LEDs are mounted on an Aluminum disc. And yes the electrolytic capacitors are slowly being cooked, but dry joints killed it first.

absf likes this.
  3. absf

Dec 29, 2010
    My 7W LED lamp in my bathroom worked for almost 2 years and it started to flicker for a while then turned ON completely.

I open up the lamp and found a 4.7uF 450V cap bulging up. After replacing, it works beautifully again. The lamp was a first batch using aluminium base and have screws on PCB and casing. Very easy to open and repair.

Allen

4. JohnInTX

Jun 26, 2012
    Maybe.
    Thread moved to Feedback and Suggestions.
    Personally, I don't see too much wrong with repairing a purpose-built LED lamp that happens to be direct to mains but we'll see how it goes.

The original thread was locked by @bertus and the mods have the report.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2016
    absf likes this.
  5. debe

Sep 21, 2010
    It was never intended as repairing LED bulbs. It was just to show what was inside one for curiosity. On these LED bulbs its impractical to even attempt to repair, the diffuser is glass on these & had to be broken to get inside.

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    I can see inside the tiny LED night lights I use, and I could repair them. Very simple, if you're an electronics nerd, but I think coaching beginners to do that is not good. A solder blob shorting something would blow molten stuff all over the place when plugged in.

7. hp1729

Thread Starter Well-Known Member

Nov 23, 2015
    Re: " I think coaching beginners to do that is not good."
    Good point, I guess. In this case the OP had the wherewithal to de-engineer the schematic. Not a bad accomplishment.

8. debe

Sep 21, 2010
    These LEDs ive found more reliable as they are a simpler construction & easy to pull apart. But at a price of $2 they are a throw away. LED.1.JPG LED.2.JPG LED.3.JPG

wayneh likes this.
  9. Hypatia's Protege

Distinguished Member

Mar 1, 2015
    Indeed, howbeit similar liability exists wherever high short-circuit current is available (Incl many battery powered systems) -- As I see it, the sole (well nigh) unique liability Re: non-isolated line operated equipment is vested in the inherent 'ground-referenced shock hazard' attendant thereto -- Which, considering the prevalence of 'isolation failure' is hardly restricted to transformerless equipment -- point being, negligent/inept/inexperienced 'handling' of electrical energy is dangerous - period -- So why the special emphasis upon non-isolated LEDs and PSUs?:confused: -- Please know that the foregoing is offered as a sincere question sans challenge or antagonism of any kind!:)

Very best regards
    HP

Last edited: Aug 22, 2016