Torch vs heat gun

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by McSeem, Apr 22, 2010.

1. McSeem

Thread Starter New Member

Apr 20, 2010
    What is better and safer for soldering SOIC and TSSOP, butane micro torch or the heat gun?
    Another question is what solder paste is best for fine soldering? I assume some low-temp one, right? It doesn't have to be lead-free, as I assume.

2. jpanhalt

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 18, 2008
    1) Heat gun, if you insist. Although, I just use a temperature-regulated soldering iron. With a torch, you need to be concerned about which part of the flame you are using -- ever try to solder a pipe using one where you heat the solder rather than the joint? With the devices you mention, you will have a difficult time just heating the joint, not the solder.
    2) The paste I have seen is generally no different than the solder I use. You do not need a special low-temp paste.

John

McSeem likes this.
  3. KL7AJ

AAC Fanatic!

Nov 4, 2008

I agree. A heat gun will give you a more uniform heat, and there is also no chemical reaction going on that could contaminate crucial components. (I do use a butane torch for outdoor work, but on much less delicate parts(.

Eric

4. McSeem

Apr 20, 2010
    Thank you. As for paste, there's a great variety of them. Silver, lead free, etc. I think I'll take some regular lead-tin, preferably with no-wash flux. Any particular recommendations?

5. beenthere

Retired Moderator

Apr 20, 2004
    You can look for the ratio 63% lead & 37% tin as having the lowest melting point. Extra points for the addition of 2% silver (makes the joints very smooth and shiny, very slightly improves the electrical properties).

If I could recall the article, I would point you at the one that was from a man who had managed to create a stencil out of thin plastic. He positioned it over the lead traces and used a squeegee to wipe solder paste across. The method produced very accurate results.

This is not that article - http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/tutorial_info.php?tutorials_id=58 - but has an idea. You can always Google "solder paste stencil" for more.

McSeem likes this.
  6. McSeem

Apr 20, 2010
    Thanks! I have ordered what I need from proto-advantage.com, including paste, boards, and a stencil kit.

7. jpanhalt

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 18, 2008
  8. beenthere

Retired Moderator

Apr 20, 2004
    Quite possibly.