Topic for technical report?

bug13

Joined Feb 13, 2012
Hi guys,

I will need to write a technical report as part of my course, and I want to write about "how to make a Joules Thief", any advice to me before I start, is this topic too easy for the report?

Or if my chosen topic is ok, what subjects should I write about it?

I really want to get this over and done with, so I can focus more on the subject I like (electronics)

All advice and criticize are welcome:)

it's for year 1 engineering course, subject: Engineering Literacy, 30%of final course mark.

Thanks

full info:

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Yes, I think a Joules thief is a reasonable topic for a paper such as this. There is a lot of information out there on the circuit, including theory and practical discussions. If you are really new to electronics, be careful not to get lazy and just parrot what you find online because the discussions of the nonlinear behavior is a bit too challenging for your present formal understanding. I recommend reading material until you believe you have a reasonable understanding of how the circuit works and then write your paper without referring to any of it using only the understanding you have obtained. Do the best you can and, with the rough draft in hand, go back and compare it to your notes and do more research, if necessary.

bug13

Joined Feb 13, 2012
Seems like a reasonable topic to write about--is this your solar powered battery charger?

Check out this thread--may provide some hints:
http://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/showthread.php?t=68089
Thanks, your subjects on the other post looks good(I don't understand all of them tho)

It's only a simple Joules Thief circuit, no fancy stuff, I think keep it simple and stupid is good for me at this early stage :)

bug13

Joined Feb 13, 2012
Yes, I think a Joules thief is a reasonable topic for a paper such as this. There is a lot of information out there on the circuit, including theory and practical discussions. .
Thanks for your practical advice, I think I will get into it now, then focus on something I am interested in.:)