Tons of 1 post new users lately

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
3 email warnings to log in within 2 months. 3rd one sent is a final warning. If still no log ins after 3 emails and 2 months of time I think its safe to wipe their membership and just let em create a new one when they need that diagram once a year.
Yeah, that's beginning to sound like spam....

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
Yeah, that's beginning to sound like spam....
But I get dozens of emails from other sites and companies every day. How come they can do it and we can't. Also spam is something you didn't sign up for. They signed up and gave their email. Contacting them to thin the userlist is far from spam. Now if you bought someone elses user list and contacted all them yes that spam.

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
How come they can do it and we can't.
No one is saying we can't. It's not worth the effort. It would be sending 87,285 emails (3 per user, IAW your plan) to people who have lost interest in this website.

What is the email going to say ... "log in or else we will delete your username." Yeah, I find that humorous as if I lost interest in any forum and got that email, you'd get a response from me ... and it wouldn't be very nice.

Since the period begining 1 Sep 2012 we've had 3048 members signon. That leaves 29,095 emails that would need to be sent.

I would not want to task our team of moderators with that detail, even if I had the power to ask them.

The top three posters have N/A as the last time they visited. I would not want to delete any of those three. One of the top three will never post again, and I still wouldn't want their name deleted from the record.

One group you can safely eliminate is anyone who joined and last visited on the same date, irrespective of how many postings there were. You can bet if there were multiple posts it started with "I need an answer to this question" and their subsequent posts is, "It's been 4 attoseconds ... how come no one responded yet?" :)

Like I said, each would have to be looked at individually. I can bet there are some who have less than 10 days between joining and last visit ... who can be safely eliminated. Of course, this assumes the last visit was more than 90 days ago.

There is an Internet Rule, dealing mostly with wiki content and chat rooms. It's the 89-10-1 rule. 1 percent create the content, 10 percent add/modify the content, and 89 percent read the content. The percentages would not change much with respect to forums. The vast majority lurks. 10 or so percent contribute, and in the case of the homework forum, more than 1 percent create the questions.

It's really not our decision to make as we are all common users in this forum. We can certainly offer opinions, solicited or not, concerning this issue. It's really not a problem unless Dave is paying on a per member basis.

There are 28,200 members with 10 or less postings. 11,970 members with 1 post.

Last edited:

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
IF this were to be done (which I am beginning to think shouldn't be done, after hearing some of the comments), I would say to only boot members with last visit as N/A and less than, say, 2 posts. Not much can be said in only two posts, so I don't imagine it would harm much to remove them. However, Geo and the others are right--Who would be the one to judge whose short threads were useful or not?

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
Mass emailing very easy. Just use a database to pull the addresses. Convert them into a csv then use a mass email client to send a form letter. Make it nice and easy. Print some stickers and offer them for $0.50. Then give them an opt out button. We should be selling shirts, hats, coffee mugs, etc.. I'm buying a car this week and I plan on ripping off your logo graphics to make a similar PCB pad design to go on the rear. It just won't say AAC.

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
DerStrom8,

Visit the member list and sort by posts (click the posts link). It will show you the number of posts in decending order.

The top three names should not be a suprise. Why there is a N/A for their last visit is a suprise to me.

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
DerStrom8,

Visit the member list and sort by posts (click the posts link). It will show you the number of posts in decending order.

The top three names should not be a suprise. Why there is a N/A for their last visit is a suprise to me.
Hmm, that is surprising. Perhaps it comes with "invisible mode"?

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
I believe that the N/A is a bug in the system. Sometimes a contact of mine will have a last visit date and the next date it will be gone. It may have something to do with the invisible mode but I don't have investigated it.

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
I believe that the N/A is a bug in the system. Sometimes a contact of mine will have a last visit date and the next date it will be gone. It may have something to do with the invisible mode but I don't have investigated it.
Looks like it, I scrolled a few pages and looks like about 20% is NA with 4 figure posts.