Tons of 1 post new users lately

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
Seems we are getting lots of new users with one or two posts over the past couple pf days. Mostly users that can barely speak English.

I know we get a lot when finals are becoming due but these don't seem to follow the typical template and it seems there are a lot more than usual .

Anyone else noticing this?

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
A few are spam, it has picked up. They post em, we decimate em.

For reasons I've posted I don't have as much time to read everything, but I'm trying to keep on top of the moderator duties.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
Yeah I have seen those but these at least don't seem to be spam.

What about the usernames? Are they ever purged?

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
The site hit a new record in simultaneous online users, so they might be related. It's a fact that India steps up its game in the technological sector year by year, so they might contribute more than we think.

Based on this (http://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/archive/index.php/t-20913.html) conversation, I 'd say that India keeps a large percentage in the userbase, the US subsides and other countries emerge.

Last edited:

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
Every members started out as newcomer with only one post. A few typos or bad English does not matter for my part. As long as the questions are rational.

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

Did you also notice that MANY members NEVER made a post?
The member counter is at 185000, but the members who ever posts 1 or more posts is at 32000.
This will also drive up the number of members online.

Bertus

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
Maybe you could purge members who have never posted and who have not logged in for X months?

What I was driving at. I think it would be a good idea. Mainly free up some user names. so we won't have as many THE_RB001, THE_RB002 and so on. :)

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
Maybe you could purge members who have never posted and who have not logged in for X months?
That can be done, but then there is no username to index searches with, or IP history for spam, etc. Unless a user is established and wants a username that hasn't been used in a decade, not worth the problems it creates.

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
Hello,

Did you also notice that MANY members NEVER made a post?
The member counter is at 185000, but the members who ever posts 1 or more posts is at 32000.
This will also drive up the number of members online.

Bertus
This is normal, for beginners its easier to just read the backlogs for what simple question you have. And for answering questions theirs some really smart people here who know more then you. So you wait and don't put your answer in till your confident. The key why you have so many members is you can't view pics or download any thing without an account. So to view a diagram or pic you need to create an account. So many create an account view and d/l the file and never come back till they need something. But still if you have 5000 active users your doing good.

atferrari

Joined Jan 6, 2004
Besides, many people might just want to see the pics.
It seems that most if not all forums, force you to register to access pictures and attachments. It is also true that people once they are done, they do not return.

Been there, done that, many times. And, honestly, no remorse.

THE_RB

Joined Feb 11, 2008
I hate having to register to see pictures on a forum, it means when finding that forum from a google search of a topic, it's almost worthless. Really puts people off that forum I think. Registering should be so people can post, not for looking.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
So far it does not seem to be too onerous a requirement, and we have seen more than one forum where they lifted our threads verbatum and claimed them as their own.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
The site hit a new record in simultaneous online users, so they might be related. It's a fact that India steps up its game in the technological sector year by year, so they might contribute more than we think.

Based on this (http://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/archive/index.php/t-20913.html) conversation, I 'd say that India keeps a large percentage in the userbase, the US subsides and other countries emerge.
India is about to surpass America in hits to this site.
India: 23.1%
USA: 24.4%
http://www.juggle.com/allaboutcircuits-com

THE_RB

Joined Feb 11, 2008
So far it does not seem to be too onerous a requirement, and we have seen more than one forum where they lifted our threads verbatum and claimed them as their own.
Yeah good point about ripping, I had not really considered that and was only thinking as a user not a supplier. :)

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
It seems that most if not all forums, force you to register to access pictures and attachments. It is also true that people once they are done, they do not return.

Been there, done that, many times. And, honestly, no remorse.
Thats cause their all the same forums just different graphics. Plus most people want you to register so they can sell your email.

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
I like this idea, but I'd send out an email notification first, saying "click this link if you still want to be a part of the site". If it's not responded to, they can be eliminated.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
I like this idea, but I'd send out an email notification first, saying "click this link if you still want to be a part of the site". If it's not responded to, they can be eliminated.

Many other sites do this. I think it is a good idea. Maybe it could be set up so they have temporary membership for 2 or 3 days if they don't click on the link?