Tonight's Libation

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
So I am out and ordered a Grey Goose Vodka Martini. I was asked if I wanted Vermouth in it. WTF, isn't that just Vodka in a fancy glass? Then I was asked if I wanted olives? When did they become optional? I could have stayed home and drank from the bottle in the freezer...

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
So I am out and ordered a Grey Goose Vodka Martini. I was asked if I wanted Vermouth in it. WTF, isn't that just Vodka in a fancy glass? Then I was asked if I wanted olives? When did they become optional? I could have stayed home and drank from the bottle in the freezer...
Where did this "vodka" come from? A martini is made with gin.

I order my martinis as a "(gin) martini straight up, painfully dry, with an olive and a twist." I appreciate being asked which gin I prefer. I abhor having to specify gin at all.

If you start messing around with the major ingredient it is no wonder the mixologist needed to query whatever substitutions you had in mind when you ordered your misnomer.

Last edited:

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010

I order my martinis as a "(gin) martini straight up, painfully dry, with an olive and a twist." I appreciate being asked which gin I prefer. I abhor having to specify gin at all.

If you start messing around with the major ingredient it is no wonder the mixologist needed to query whatever substitutions you had in mind when you ordered your misnomer.
A vodka martini is not a martini. It is a vodka martini. Hence, it's ingredients are different, not to be confused with a martini. If the mixologist doesn't know how to make both drinks, it is not my problem.

Addendum: Shortly after, someone sat next to me and ordered a vodka martini, no olives nor vermouth. That is just not right.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010

Right on! From #15 in this thread:

I am aghast.

Referring to any drink as a martini when it contains no gin is just...wrong! It's not the glassware that makes it a martini, it's the gin.

But, I have come to accept the convenience of the term "vodka martini" to describe a drink that would actually BE a "martini", were it made using gin instead. Like you might use "gasoline jello" to describe napalm. Don't try to tell me there is such a thing as a chocolate-tini or whatever abominations they invent to separate fools from their money.

Then it gets worse. I've been known to make a martini with room temperature gin. I've also farted in elevators. Neither is ideal if one has a choice.

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
The beginning of this month I made another trip down to Isla Mujeres Mexico, an idyllic place for some rest and recuperation.

I began my rehab with a Margarita made with fresh lime juice. Sorry it was half gone when I stopped long enough to grab a picture.

libation.jpg

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
The beginning of this month I made another trip down to Isla Mujeres Mexico, an idyllic place for some rest and recuperation.

I began my rehab with a Margarita made with fresh lime juice. Sorry it was half gone when I stopped long enough to grab a picture.

View attachment 114445
Been there... love that :);)

Hope you had a good time in my home country, my friend. Cheers!