Tonight's Libation

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
The martini is my preferred drink of choice when I need a serious drink. While there may be better choices personally I prefer Tanquerey.

No other substitute quite makes the cut when I have tried them. There is always some unpleasant note somewhere, though it may be that Tangy is just neutral and that is what I am used to.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
I like the dry bite of Bombay Sapphire. Hendricks is completly different but very nice also. My brother and I did side-by-side tasting of several gins not long ago and I preferred Hendricks, but it's quite a bit more expensive.

What about the bitters? Angostura or Peychaud's?

JohnInTX

Joined Jun 26, 2012
I've been known to enjoy a Sapphire martini from time to time.... Yum. Don't like Hendricks - cucumber gin doesn't do it for me but I know its very popular...

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
BTW, Joey gave us a nice background for his martini. I can't quite match that but here's the local sky.

View attachment 108641
And speaking of backgrounds, what better way to spend a summer afternoon than playing backgammon with your son, and by the pool?

20160716_193704.jpg

Sorry about the Coors Light can, Joey... Didn't mean to offend your sensitive palate, but it's a perfect cooler while at the beach...

Greetings from South Padre Island, by the way! :)

Last edited:

killivolt

Joined Jan 10, 2010
Only smoke?
I think a Martini at the end of the day, or other such drinks made with Vodka can remove all memories of the work day and that one boss we all hate. Thus, allowing for a good nights rest so you can struggle with him the next day.

Continued application of this drink on a daily bases will remove "painful memories" of all the dumb "A.." ideas created by Administrators who have no idea what your job description is and how much pain they place on you and your projects with absolutely no direction or proper application to complete a project on time and in budget.

kv

joeyd999

Joined Jun 6, 2011
I think a Martini at the end of the day, or other such drinks made with Vodka can remove all memories of the work day and that one boss we all hate. Thus, allowing for a good nights rest so you can struggle with him the next day.

Continued application of this drink on a daily bases will remove "painful memories" of all the dumb "A.." ideas created by Administrators who have no idea what your job description is and how much pain they place on you and your projects with absolutely no direction or proper application to complete a project on time and in budget.

kv
So, since I am the boss, does that mean I'm drinking to forget myself and my dumb ideas?

BTW, I finally got some good gin, so I'm drinking a real martini this afternoon.

Unfortunately, the wife used all the ice to make slushy drinks for her and her friends, so I am limited to the one martini until the ice maker cranks out a few more cubes.

killivolt

Joined Jan 10, 2010
Hmn, well said. Didn't think of it in that context. Could be applied to ourselves and our dumb ideas that could create issue for our day to day lives.

kv

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
I think your point was well made. Anyone that claims THEY are their own boss are just in denial that the customer/client becomes their boss.
I used to think that way, when I was young and stupid (now I'm just plain stupid :p) . I quit my job so I could get rid of being bossed around and be my own boss... well surprise, surprise... after a while it downed on me that I no longer had a boss, but rather about 20 of them... and all asking for things in a rush and at the same time! :eek: