Tonight's Libation

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by joeyd999, Jun 26, 2016.

1. joeyd999

Thread Starter AAC Fanatic!

Jun 6, 2011
  2. killivolt

Jan 10, 2010
    Yuck, is that vodka or gin ? Can't stand either, took some skiing once and wasn't pretty. Didn't ski much that day. :D

kv

3. joeyd999

Jun 6, 2011
    If you can't stand either, then the answer is irrelevant, isn't it?

4. joeyd999

Jun 6, 2011
    A properly made gin or vodka martini tastes neither like gin nor vodka. Otherwise, I'd just drink straight from a chilled bottle.

5. joeyd999

Jun 6, 2011
    For those not privy, a martini is made with gin. A vodka martini is made with vodka. I prefer martinis.

I didn't have any gin handy, so I am drinking vodka martinis tonight. Normally, this would be depressing, but right now I just don't care.

Sinus23 and cmartinez like this.
  6. joeyd999

Jun 6, 2011
    Oh, and there is no such thing as a "stirred" martini. All martinis are shaken. Anyone caught stirring a martini will have their AAC membership immediately revoked.

Robin Mitchell likes this.
  7. joeyd999

Jun 6, 2011
    I suggest that any engineers (or engineers in training) who wish to join me tonight, first review and understand the American National Standard Safety Code and Requirement for Dry Martinis, document number K100.1-1974.

Your reputation may depend on it.

8. GopherT

AAC Fanatic!

Nov 23, 2012
    You are giving conflicting requirements. If you disagree with The standard you need to appeal. Until then, you need to inform your customers that your specification is incorrect and you will either, (1) change your procedures to abide by The Standard, or, (2) publish your non-standard methods and base your specification on those non-standard methods while allowing all customers to declare their contracts null and void - and let them find other suppliers.

In any case, it is likely that courts will allow your customers to collect damages they have experienced as a result of your non-compliance.

9. joeyd999

Jun 6, 2011
    You are correct. In fact, the standard calls for chilled gin. This is a big no-no. Room temperature gin is preferred because water (from melted ice) is a primary ingredient of a proper martini. It brings out the florals in both the gin and vermouth.

10. GopherT

AAC Fanatic!

Nov 23, 2012
    Unfortunately, A standard is a standard. Also review my addition to post 8.

11. joeyd999

Jun 6, 2011
    Good thing I have no customers.

Edit: And I stand by "those stirring".

12. Lestraveled

May 19, 2014
    Dos Equis Amber with a twist of lime in a frosted mug. Grand kids watching a movie in the next room. Wife working on a special order in her sewing room. Life is good.

13. GopherT

AAC Fanatic!

Nov 23, 2012
    A generation seems to be missing from your update.

14. Lestraveled

May 19, 2014
    One reason why grand parents and grand children get along so well is that we have a common enemy. :D

The kids are off enjoying themselves.

Sinus23 and GopherT like this.
  15. wayneh

Expert

Sep 9, 2010
    I am aghast.

Referring to any drink as a martini when it contains no gin is just...wrong! It's not the glassware that makes it a martini, it's the gin.

But, I have come to accept the convenience of the term "vodka martini" to describe a drink that would actually BE a "martini", were it made using gin instead. Like you might use "gasoline jello" to describe napalm. Don't try to tell me there is such a thing as a chocolate-tini or whatever abominations they invent to separate fools from their money.

Then it gets worse. I've been known to make a martini with room temperature gin. I've also farted in elevators. Neither is ideal if one has a choice. There is nothing so lovely as the thickness and viscosity of gin as it is poured from a bottle stored in a freezer. Or a sip of that elixir as it freezes a tiny amount of saliva in your mouth into a spittle slushie. Heaven. Will it taste different as it warms and dilutes? Sure, but why start at the endpoint. Enjoy the journey!

More fireworks tonite, so no libations for me.

cmartinez and joeyd999 like this.
  16. Lestraveled

May 19, 2014
    Good words

17. killivolt

Jan 10, 2010
    Tell you what though, "Vodka -aka- Paint Thinner " is excellent for removing smoke smell from cars, cloths, and other such things you wish didn't smell like smoke.

kv:)

18. JohnInTX

Jun 26, 2012
    @joeyd999 knows his martinis.
    Me:
    Gin - cooled a bit, never in freezer. I keep mine in the wine cooler.
    Cold-soaked stainless steel shaker (I keep it in the freezer). Fill with crushed ice. Use a towel around shaker so as not to heat it with hands.
    Dash of dry vermouth in shaker - 1/4 oz. for two.
    Shake the dickens out of it.
    Pop the top and drain any excess vermouth - there probably won't be any. Shaking the vermouth like this fluffs the ice.
    Add cool gin - 5 oz. for two
    Shake the living snot out of it. As Joey says, you want to get a little water in there to release the botanicals in the gin. That's where the flavor comes from and different gins make vastly different martinis.
    Shake it until a frost forms on the shaker under the towel.
    Pour immediately and evenly into two martini glasses - frozen if you have the room. Pour into the bottom of the glass, not along the sides.
    Drop a rinsed olive into it - I like the big Tasso's ones stuffed with jalepeno. YMMV
    If you've done it right, the drink will be cold enough to form a thin film of ice on the surface.
    Get the first sip in before that little ice film melts.

Vodka martini? Only when you're out of gin. Shake it and it still tastes like vodka - no botanicals.

Sinus23, wayneh and joeyd999 like this.
  19. joeyd999

Jun 6, 2011
    I chill the glasses with ice+water while mixing.

JohnInTX likes this.
  20. JohnInTX

Jun 26, 2012
    Me too if I don't have the room in the freezer. Colder in the freezer but ice+water has the advantage longer 'counter life.' Either way seems to be fine.

You're killing me, we used the last of the gin last date-nite. Time to go shoppin'

We've settled on Tanquerey. Any recommendations?