Toner paper removal from PCB for Etching

Electroguy86

Joined Nov 20, 2012
I was wondering what kinds of things people do to remove the paper without messing up the toner tracks. Everytime I go to etch a board I mess up at least a few tracks and it is beginning to really make me mad. I usually let the board sit in warm water for about 10 minutes or so then I rub the paper off but sometimes I rub off the tracks. What else could I do? I do clean and scuff up the board prior to heating and I heat and pressure for a little over 3 minutes just wondering. Also, chemistry question. Why go 2 to 1 ratio on Peroxide and Hydrochloride acid? Wondering if anyone knows.

DickCappels

Joined Aug 21, 2008
I had the same problem as you until I read that if I use magazine paper instead of printer paper, the paper comes away without taking the toner with it. It needs to be the shiny kind of magazine paper; just cut a page cleanly out of a magazine and print on it. The ink printed on the magazine won't have any effect.

I fellow I corresponded with in Europe told the that they print on gummed paper like the dry glue on the flap of an envelope; they buy it in sheets in standard sizes. He said he never had a problem with the toner coming off with the paper because the glue dissolves very quickly. If you can find some of that kind of paper, let me know where you find it!

Last edited:

sirch2

Joined Jan 21, 2013
I use cheap glossy photo paper and it works well. Like you I let it soak and then rub gently with my fingers but I have never had a track come off the copper. The one thing I have found to really help is not getting the board wet before toner transfer, I know some web pages suggest scrubbing with a pan scourer and then washing, I don't do this. I clean the copper with very fine grade abrasive paper and then wipe with acetone to get rid of any grease I then do the transfer immediately after the acetone has evaporated. The other thing to check is that you are using the right temperature for the toner that your particular printer uses.

Electroguy86

Joined Nov 20, 2012
I use cheap glossy photo paper and it works well. Like you I let it soak and then rub gently with my fingers but I have never had a track come off the copper. The one thing I have found to really help is not getting the board wet before toner transfer, I know some web pages suggest scrubbing with a pan scourer and then washing, I don't do this. I clean the copper with very fine grade abrasive paper and then wipe with acetone to get rid of any grease I then do the transfer immediately after the acetone has evaporated. The other thing to check is that you are using the right temperature for the toner that your particular printer uses.
I clean the board with alcohol after scrubbing it then letting it dry. Works. I think I might have figured out what I was doing wrong. I now keep the pressure and heat on the board longer and heat water up to 100 degrees then drop the board in and let it soak for 10 minutes. So far so good. Haven't rubbed off the toner tracks since doing that. I see someone using a toothbrush and glass cleaner but do not know about that.

sirch2

Joined Jan 21, 2013
I would have thought that hot water would have softened the toner, I always use cold but whatever works for you.