Tolerance of electronics using two (2) 1.5v batteries

BringMeAnother

Joined Oct 21, 2012
I don't really like batteries because I don't like the hassle of having to change them and going to the store to buy more. I had an old wireless mouse using two AA batteries. I never use it because I never have the batteries for it. I did an experiment and connected the two terminals to a 5V USB powered port and the mouse works. Obviously, I did not care about the mouse, so I was willing to experiment. I'm wondering what's the level of tolerance for those kind of electronics in general? Will all electric devices that take two AA or AAA batteries work fine with USB power?

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
"All" is a powerful word but, many chips work just fine up to 5 volts. Note the word, many, not all. Now, the more chips you have in your devixe, ... well, you can do the statistical analysis.

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
If you add two or three silicon junction diodes in series with the +5V, you will be less likely to damage any circuits designed to run from a 3V battery.

Lee697

Joined Aug 31, 2014
I think sooner or later some device may die under the barrage of 5V..... how about a little LM317 regulator or similar??