toggle switch definitions

Discussion in 'Feedback and Suggestions' started by bobbyrae, Oct 24, 2009.

1. bobbyrae

Thread Starter Active Member

May 14, 2009
    I was here and at Mouser trying to get a clear idea of toggle switch positions, but am still slightly confused.

The designations are things like on-on and on-off-on, which seem fairly intuitive, but then I go to a datasheet and see that some versions of a switch are on-off-on, while others are on-none-on, and I have to wonder what is the difference between "off" and "none"? And some people may not know that on-(on) means one position is momentary. There is also a similar situation with pushbuttons. They don't always use terms like "normally closed", but instead may use "off-on" or "on-on" and then I hesitate because I am not 100% sure of what I am buying.

I have a masters in computer science, so if I am confused by all this it only stands to reason that others will want some illumination too.

2. shortbus

AAC Fanatic!

Sep 30, 2009
    Hi, I'm not too electronics literate, but I can tell you that the ON-none-ON means that the lever does not stop in the center position. You only have two possible positions.

The ON-OFF-ON means the lever stops in the off(center) position.

CARY

3. beenthere

Retired Moderator

Apr 20, 2004
    To amplify the shortbus' reply, some of those "descriptions" are unique to the catalog, and perhaps the edition thereof. The unequivocal solution is to go to the manufacturer's site and get the specs on that switch.