To serve man

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by spinnaker, Oct 14, 2012.

1. spinnaker

Thread Starter AAC Fanatic!

Oct 29, 2009
    Don't know if anyone remembers the classic Twilight Zone Episode "To serve man".

Twilight Zone is on here on a retro TV station called Me and I recently watched this episode.

Anyway the episode starts with a scene of a man on a spaceship in a fairly large room. This is is private room.

He has a flashback that explains how he got into the spaceship. Aliens land and are very benevolent. The one alien leaves a book behind, perhaps accidentally. The only thing the humans can translate is the title "To Serve Man". They convince humans to travel to the alien planet for a visit. Hundreds of people board the ship for the voyage.

The man that was in the room at the beginning of the episode is boarding the ship when a co-worker appears telling him she has cracked the language and that the book To Serve Man is actually a cookbook.

A plausible story line. I can see where aliens could appear benevolent and harvest humans for food. Assuming this did happen, would they give a room to each human or would they be packed in just like we pack animals into small places for our food?

Or maybe they were kind of free range humans? :)

DerStrom8 likes this.
  2. ErnieM

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 24, 2011
    The Morlocks didn't have to do anything but blow a whistle to harvest the Eloi.

Happy (or clueless) humans would make the best food source, least they start doing what humans do best: being the meanest beast in the forest.

3. vortmax

Oct 10, 2012
    who's to say the earth isn't one giant feed lot and they are waiting for our global population to top a few more trillion before they come back and load up the trucks....and maybe they like a tropical climate and we are terraforming too

praondevou likes this.
  4. nsaspook

AAC Fanatic!

Aug 27, 2009
  5. atferrari

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 6, 2004
    Watched that movie many many times as a kid. Cannot the recall the name of the actor. Do you?

Funny thing was the shop window with dresses changing as he moved along time. Smart idea.

6. Georacer

Nov 25, 2009
    The beef meat stiffens if the animal sees the man holding the knife before it slits its throat, due to stress.

I 'm sure that happens to us too. The aliens should treat us right if they want a tender fillet mignon.

maxpower097 likes this.
  7. Blackbull

Jul 26, 2008
    The Time Machine H.G. Wells, Rod Taylor.

8. maxpower097

Feb 20, 2009
    They would be packed into rooms not like animals but like we did with humans for thousands of years. All you need do is look at the slave trade. That would show you the kind of hospitality you would get. Its actually funny cause it lines up to the slave trade exactly. They sweet talked them into coming to the new world, then crammed em into boats and sailed off. Its like Hawkings said, if we ever got visited be aliens it would be like the White man and the Indians, and we'd be the Indians.

9. maxpower097

Feb 20, 2009
    and even better mignon if they give us strippers and hourly back rubs in our bubble baths. When the invasion occurs we must send them a guide to producing Kobe Beef.

10. strantor

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 3, 2010
    That's ironic. I was just thinking last night about sci-fi scenarios involving human/alien contact. I was thinking, in every sci-fi alien story I've heard, the aliens are much more technologically advanced, and could kick our asses with both hands tied behind their backs. What if, in a different story, the aliens happened to arrive here on our planet not by advanced technology, but by some other method, perhaps telekinetic space travel. What if they showed up here and weren't much more advanced than loincloth wearing tribesmen, and marveled at our technology?

Well, I'm sure I'm not the first one to think of this, so there has to be at least a handful of books already with that story line. Anybody know of them?

11. Sparky49

Jul 16, 2011
    Why are the visiting aliens always non-human?

No matter if you believe in the possibility of many life forms and other civilisations, there has to be one which comes into existance first, and reaches out to the stars first.

Why not humans?

People are quick to say we are very small. Physicly, yes. But I think that we have a lot more to offer.

We could be the first species to visit other worlds. As to what we will do - well that depends on wether we learn from our own history. I think we are beginning to do that too.

strantor likes this.
  12. strantor

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 3, 2010
    Maybe.
    Maybe we have had an alien encounter before and didn't know it because the aliens were human.

Maybe we're aliens.

13. DerStrom8

Feb 20, 2011
    I first saw that movie when I was about 6 or 7 and at the time it was one of the best movies I'd ever seen. The effects were great and amazing. I watched it again about 10 years ago, and once more just recently. After what they're doing with movies these days, the CG effects, etc, I most recently found it to be rather amusing ;):p Guess I got spoiled by the modern effects....

14. atferrari

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 6, 2004
    Yes, that one!

15. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    Uh, aliens are not the only ones who eat humans. Long pork anyone?

16. maxpower097

Feb 20, 2009
    Yah unfortunately in most societies our major scientific breaktrhu's come from war. So chance are if they have some for of space travel, then their gonna have an advanced military. Heck they've probably been fighting the Borg for 100 years.

17. spinnaker

Thread Starter AAC Fanatic!

Oct 29, 2009

We are veering OT here. Somehow the thread morphed into "The Time Machine" from the "To Serve Man" Twilight Zone episode, back to general alien invasion. :)

To achieve interstellar space travel aliens would necessarily be technologically superior to humans. If their mode of travel is superior then their weapons would be superior.

The only possible way they could arrive without use of their own technology is to either accidentally stumble into another alien's transport mechanism or perhaps into some strange natural anomaly like a black hole.

18. atferrari

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 6, 2004
    One cannibal says to the other: "I can't stand my mother-in-law."

The other says: "Why don't you just eat the vegetables?"

shortbus likes this.
  19. Sparky49

Jul 16, 2011
    I believe that for any race to venture into space, the entire species would have to work together (at least to begin with).

Think of the massive effort to just visit mars. Right now it is out of reach of every single country on Earth, nevermind trying to colonise Mars or a moon of Jupiter. Nevermind travelling vast distances between stars before just stumbling on a solar system with just one 'interesting' planet.

Chances are that they will also have a great communication system, much like we have the internet. Consider just how much more peaceful our world has become with access to information for the ordinary man. The majority of the last century saw wars between machines, where people got in the way. Now, we are much more 'clued up'. People have seen the hell of a war with machines and we are becomming more and more against war.

At what point do we give it up? I think that either we will kill ourselves or end up being much more peaceful - working together. That is what it takes to venture into space.

But this is just a lot of ifs. For all we know, we could be the first civilisation in the universe. There could be no other life out there - yet.

20. Georacer

Nov 25, 2009
    On the topic of colonization, NASA has some years now been searching for planets similar to earth. There have been many finds and even some close one, only a few dozens light years away.

Except that a light year is a unreachable speed for us right now. Bummer...