To Ohmart, or to not?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by nbw, Aug 16, 2011.

Should Barney aka OhmArt be allowed to display his electronics cartoon blog address?

Poll closed Sep 3, 2011.
  1. Yes - it would enable forum readers to still see the cartoons and not take from this forum

10 vote(s)
  2. No - I'm not interested in his cartoons / they're not funny anyway

0 vote(s)
  3. No - rules are rules. If you can buy his cartoon on a T-shirt, that's commercial

4 vote(s)
  4. Who, what, where is OhmArt?

0 vote(s)
  1. nbw

Thread Starter Member

May 8, 2011
    Hi all,
    I love sharing my cartoons with as many possible but am running out short of time to post them in various places - it really makes sense to put them in one place. I have a wordpress blog where I put all of my designs up in a nice styled format, on a regular basis (usually 2+ per week).

However, I'm not allowed to post the blog address here, or in my signature, or anywhere... as it's deemed to be a C-word - of a "commercial nature".

Whilst not wanting to get into that debate :confused: (not spamming to sell v1agra or anything else!) I wanted to get a feeling for whether the folks here think the blog link should be publishable, or not, or whether I should take my graphics tablet and retire it somewhere :D

So, I've started this simple poll to gauge the feeling out there.

I know the moderators have a job to do to protect members from ridiculous spam - I hoped that electronics cartoons might not have been seen as such. However, as my wife says, I have been known to be wrong.

So - give me your 2c worth!! (please, I mean, must use manners)
  2. praondevou

AAC Fanatic!

Jul 9, 2011
    Well, with the information you put into this post it wasn't so hard to find the blog. Thanks :D

Yes it should be publishable.
  3. nbw

Thread Starter Member

May 8, 2011
    Cheers for the feedback.

I kind of think that my designs are down one end of the scale, genuine spam right down the other end.

I'm not trying to impose my beliefs on others as far as forum suitability goes; moreso see if my own radar and way I see my stuff is how others see it.

4. nbw

Thread Starter Member

May 8, 2011
    wow. kind of the answer I was hoping for and yet not - I would have hoped a few more might actually take the 22 seconds to vote, be it for or against.

Thanks to all those who did or considered it! :)
  5. JoeJester

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 26, 2005

Most forum owners don't mind your website or other web addresses in your signature. What they don't allow is someone marketing their website or blog on the forum owner's dime.

If one is interested in clicking on a posted link, they will.
  6. someonesdad

Jul 7, 2009
    I voted no -- rules are rules. The owners of the forum get to choose their rules and everyone should stick by them.

However, I like your cartoons and don't look upon them as spam or anything bad. So PM me with your blog address and I'll post it in a thread saying "this is a good site" (of course, I must really think that or I won't post it). Then it's similar to someone saying "here's a good site you might like to go look at".

Of course, if a moderator or admin thinks this is wrong of me to do, then PM me and I won't do it.
  7. steveb

Jul 3, 2008
    My head says "Rules are rules.". My heart says, "Very rarely, an exception is warranted.". Both my head and my heart usually say, "Listen to your head.", but I ended up voting according to my heart. Like I said, "Very rarely, an exception is warranted.".
  8. GetDeviceInfo

Jun 7, 2009
    'the opinions/content of the link do not necessarily reflect those of AAC', blah, blah, blah.

I won't judge your comics as I'm not a comic kind of guy, but a popularity poll on someone elses website to lobby alliance is a bit tacky.
  9. nbw

Thread Starter Member

May 8, 2011
    My thoughts were along the lines of steveb. Sometimes exceptions are warranted, and you have to ask, or nothing ever changes ... right?

So while I wouldn't call putting the question directly to other people via an empirical poll tacky, I agree that once you've been heard, things stay the same, that's fair enough.

Thanks to everyone who at least took the time to think about it and reply - for and against. I appreciate that.