To LED or NOT to LED

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by jjanes, Aug 17, 2013.

1. jjanes

Thread Starter New Member

Aug 2, 2010
    So I am building a CNC machine and it needs a power supply I am looking at one with the right power but it says it is a 24V 400W "LED" switching power supply is this the normal one or is there something special about an "LED" Power supply. It is only about $30 bucks but I don't want to order the wrong thing I will be running several stepper motors through the own drivers and probably some fans and some LED lights but not a lot more. I know the 24V 400W is an overkill but I want to expand and do not want to have to switch power supplies I will also have a 24V to 12Vsolid state relay to handle any devices requiring 12V.

The main question is am I ok in getting this LED power supplyor should I look for a non LED power supply?

2. MrChips

Oct 2, 2009
    You don't want to buy an "LED" PSU.

The first thing you need to do is find out the power requirements of your CNC machine.
    How much voltage and current (or wattage) is required by the machine?

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    Got any link so we can see it? I have never heard of an "LED" power supply. That just seems too specialized to be for real.

Edit: Apparently MrChips knows something about this.

4. jjanes

Aug 2, 2010
    I will be running many different devices from LCD screens to LED lights I will need both 12 and 24 sources that is why I am getting the 12v Relay but one thing requires 24v and uses 200W by itself so the 24V 400W is about right. I just heard that that LED supplies can bu used for regular devices as well and I was about to order it but wanted to check here again when I google 24V 400W power supplies the vast majority comes up with LED supplies non LED are actually harder to find with paying an arm and a leg for them.

What is the difference and why won't it work.

5. jjanes

Aug 2, 2010
  6. LDC3

Apr 27, 2013
    I just want to point out that all the pictures state the input voltage is 200 to 240V. You will need to check with the seller if you want 110V input

7. jjanes

Aug 2, 2010
    • 100% Brand New
    • Weight:750g
    • Size: 20 x 10 x 5.0cm
    • Input Voltage: 100~120V AC, 200~240V AC (Preset 230V)
    • Output Voltage: 24V DC
    • Output Current: 0~16.6A
    • Shell Material: Metal case / Aluminum base
    • Protection: Shortage Protection, Overload Protection, Over Voltage Protection
    • Widely used in Industrial automation, LED display, communications, etc.
    • Safety Compliance: CCC/ FCC / CE
    • Working Temperature: 0~40 centigrade
    • Storage Temperature: -20~60 centigrade
    • Ambient Humidity: 0~95% Non-Condensation

8. jjanes

Aug 2, 2010
    what is the diifference though I am still unsure

9. Metalmann

Dec 8, 2012
    A few years ago, I bought these thinking I had the time to make a 3D printer. Was going to use these to power steppers, though.

I don't see why they cannot be used for LEDs, since that's what I wound up doing with them.;)