To buy or not to buy the 555 Timer...

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by scytheye, Dec 25, 2007.

Was this question useful?

Poll closed Jan 14, 2008.
  1. Very Useful

1 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. Somewhat Useful

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Somewhat Lame

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. What a n00b!!

2 vote(s)
    66.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. scytheye

Thread Starter Member

Nov 27, 2007
    What is good for electronics learning?

Last edited: Jul 29, 2010
  2. SgtWookie

Expert

Jul 17, 2007
    Sure, they're very useful. Pick up some 556's too while you're at it. You can have 1/2 of the 556 in a monostable configuration, and use the other half in a variable frequency astable configuration, connected to trigger the other half - or myriad other configurations.

But instead of simply purchasing random components, why not get an experimenter's kit?

I highly recommend this one:
    http://www.radioshack.com/sm-electronics-learning-lab--pi-2102913.html
    Yes, it's $65 - but you can spend lots more than that on components, and wind up with just junk box filler. The "breadboard" is almost too nice to be in a beginner's kit; you'll be using it for years. Comes with a couple of manuals written by Forrest M. Mims III - who also designed the experimenter's board. He did a heck of a job. The manuals are at once informative and entertaining, and you can start building useful circuits right away.

I suggest you put the plasma generator off for a while; you might wind up with a new hairdo that you don't particularly care for. ;)

As far as optics, are you looking for lenses or something else?

You might check out Edmund Scientific - they've been around for a long time. They occasionally run specials on "grab bag" lots of lenses and other items.

3. doggiedoc

Dec 16, 2004
    I personally own 4 of the Electronics Learning Labs that SgtWookie mentioned. I seem to buy one every time we're out of town and I get bored. There seems to almost always be a Radioshack around to pick one up. A great bang for the buck! (I just bought #4 the other day down here in MS at the in-laws for the holiday!)

4. mrmeval

Distinguished Member

Jun 30, 2006
    You asked and answered.

5. scytheye

Thread Starter Member

Nov 27, 2007
    What about protecting my eyes from lasers?

6. thingmaker3

Retired Moderator

May 16, 2005
    You realize that laser goggles block laser light, yes? They are to protect your eyes, not to collimate anything.

7. scytheye

Thread Starter Member

Nov 27, 2007
    That is a true statement.