To build a 5k watt converter.

kyresearcher

Joined Jul 19, 2012
I am interested in building a 5000 watt converter, dc 12v to ac 120.
I am wondering if anyone could provide a parts list for the build? and I had another question, if building a 5000 watt converter, with the parts list, can items be doubled like diodes or resistors to make it a 10k converter? I am new to the build, but have used converters for a few years. I just cant find a parts list online for anything bigger than a 100 watt converter, where the author states that building 10 100 watt converters us as good as 1 1000 watt converter, just dont sound right to me. Any help?

cork_ie

Joined Oct 8, 2011
Inverter?

True sine wave or simulated sine wave?

Many of the modern inverters of this size are microprocessor based and run on software (constant monitoring of battery voltage, can drive CFL lamps etc etc.) You are unlikely to build anything as good on hardware only.I
t is also unlikely you would even buy the components for the price of an off the shelf ready built unit.
If you want to learn and have lots of free time - great it would probably be worth the effort

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Here's a start: 5000 watts out of a 12 volt battery is 416 amps if you can achieve 100% efficiency...which you can't. That's about half a dozen 4 gauge welding cables on each terminal of the battery. Then you have to split the current up to go through the tiny legs of the transistors, then put them all back together into an 8 gauge wire to carry the 41 amps of 120 volts. A 100 amp-hour car battery will last less than 15 minutes, and probably melt from the heat it is producing.

Is that what you had in mind?

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
A 5000W converter would be cheaper to buy then to build. It would also work much better, and if you choose the correct source it will also have a warranty.

In general, this applies to EVERYTHING.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
True. One of my personal rules is: I refuse to design anything you can buy retail.
The retail version will be cheaper than I can get the parts for and have features that would take me an extra month to design.

takao21203

Joined Apr 28, 2012
I am interested in building a 5000 watt converter, dc 12v to ac 120.
I am wondering if anyone could provide a parts list for the build? and I had another question, if building a 5000 watt converter, with the parts list, can items be doubled like diodes or resistors to make it a 10k converter? I am new to the build, but have used converters for a few years. I just cant find a parts list online for anything bigger than a 100 watt converter, where the author states that building 10 100 watt converters us as good as 1 1000 watt converter, just dont sound right to me. Any help?
Yes. Forget about it. A parts list does not even make sense for a 500 Watts converter.

There are no parts list for larger converter than 100W because it does not make sense. And even 100W well can you actually build one? Will you fabricate the transformer, or eventually buy one?

ramancini8

Joined Jul 18, 2012
You may be looking for a rotary converter ofter called an inverter. These are quite common, reliable, and reasonably efficient, but you still need a pretty good 12 VDC source, and you will need a gas generator to charge the battery. Maybe you should just buy the gas generator and use it for 5KW of AC; they only cost about $6000.

kyresearcher

Joined Jul 19, 2012
Thanks for all the replys, after reading them, ive decided it would be a better route to buy one rather than make one. the reason im looking for one is backup power at the house, I have a 6 battery group that im charging to use as the power, right now i only have a 410watt converter, and it helps, but i need to be able to keep my fridge working as we lost a lot of food with this last power outage at the end of june. I have a few small gas motors as well as a lot of dc motors that I plan on using to make a generator, still need a lot of help b4 I reach that mark tho. Thanks again for all your help guys/gals :p)

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
You don't need 5000W for a fridge. Generally a couple kW is sufficient to operate the devices you may need during a power outage (fridge, furnace). For that I would just pay a few hundred bucks for a motor-AC generator.

A typical auto battery stores about 600Wh of energy so your 6 batteries (if automotive type) will store ≈3600Wh of energy. Is that sufficient to carry you through a power outage?