To Ambiguous on Partial ractions?

Biggsy100

Joined Apr 7, 2014
Reference attached file I am a little concerned that my Answers are a little ambiguous?

Numerator: 6x - 7

Denominator: (x+3)(x-2)

= 6x- 7/x-3 (x2)

or (2x-7)(3x-2)/x3

I have looked at several sites online that each suggest a different 'process' to work out partial fractions; this has made it even more confusing

Attachments

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Neither one of your answers looks correct. What you are looking for is an expression that looks like"
Rich (BB code):
{(something_1)/(x+3)} + {(something_2)/(x-2)}

We also know that

{(Something_1)*(x-2)} + {(Something_2)*(x+3)} = 6x -7
As you read the online descriptions of quick ways to solve the problem they should make more sense.

amilton542

Joined Nov 13, 2010
And you can eradicate the equality sign. It's an IDENTITY. I see this all the time, even the teachers themselves can't tell the difference between an equality and an identity. With this in mind, it's actually a matter of intuition solving a problem like this.

studiot

Joined Nov 9, 2007
And you can eradicate the equality sign. It's an IDENTITY. I see this all the time, even the teachers themselves can't tell the difference between an equality and an identity. With this in mind, it's actually a matter of intuition solving a problem like this.
So tell us what is the difference, perhaps using an example or two?

amilton542

Joined Nov 13, 2010
Trig' identities is a good place to start.

cos^2 (x) + sin^2 (x) is IDENTICAL to one. The argument x can take on whatever value it likes, the IDENTITY is always true. This requirement - of course - isn't always true for an equality. An equality is restricted in what values it can take on as opposed towards an IDENTITY.