TO-220 Socket

Joster

Joined Jun 12, 2013
Hi all,

Looking for a good TO-220 Socket for some transistors. Googled it but did not see alot showing up. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Repeating myself: You can't trust that much current to be reliable in a squeeze connector. Besides, the squeeze connector would be a poor conductor of heat and contribute to failure in that way, too. If you're testing hundreds of transistors, buy a ZIF (Zero Insertion Force) socket. Otherwise, solder it.

alfacliff

Joined Dec 13, 2013
I justy changed some power mosfets in to 220 sockets. they use the induvidual machined sockets mounted on a pc board and are heatrsinked. the pin spacing is the same as 14 or 16 pin dip sockets. get a high quality 14 ot 16 pin dip socket, the kind with the machined round metal sockets, and cut out 3 to use for your socket. not the kind with the tin one sided internals.

AnalogKid

Joined Aug 1, 2013
TO-220 pins are on 0.1" centers like DIP pins, but they are a little fatter. Sockets that grip the edges might be overstressed, so I recommend something that makes contact with the flats. For normal applications, snap-off socket strips work well. If this is for device testing, then a specialty device is the only way to go.

In the TO-220 package, the pins contribute almost nothing to the thermals. Thermally, the difference between socketing and soldering is very small.

ak

alfacliff

Joined Dec 13, 2013
thats right, in the to220 package, but in the dip sockets current might be the limiting factor. and a flat mating surface of snap off is subject to corrosion.

ian field

Joined Oct 27, 2012
I have never seen a socket for TO220 devices, except possibly for testing them...
If you're mounting a TO220 flat on a heatsink plate, you can just use a 3-wy 0.1" pitch fly-lead connector like used in TVs, VCRs etc.

There used to be sockets for the old TO3 metal cans, you could bend the leads of a TO3P and mount it with just the single screw.

AFAICR; the smaller size was TO66 - but there was a European version - close but not the same, and I can't remember which was which.