Timers miscounting

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by Daren R, Apr 9, 2015.

1. Daren R

Thread Starter New Member

Apr 9, 2015
    We recently assembled a panel for a customer using 24 hour time clocks to trigger a electronic timer. The panel has 4 clocks and 4 timers. WE assembled in our shop without the contactor that the timers drive and all worked. When we assembled the panel at the job with the contactor in place it wants to kick more than 1 of the timers in without the clock telling it to. We installed shielded wire on the trigger from the clocks to the timers and we have the same problem. Do we need resistors or capacitors in the timer coil circuits.
    Thanks in advance for the help. Daren

2. MaxHeadRoom

Expert

Jul 18, 2013
    A few more details of the system is needed?
    Is this mainly hard wired system or does it involve a solid state controller of some kind?
    A simple diagram would help.
    Most often these types of problems are due to grounding and bonding.
    Max.

3. wayneh

Expert

Sep 9, 2010
    I don't think you'll get much help without a schematic or photo of what you're talking about.

4. Daren R

Apr 9, 2015
    I am new to this forum. I will try to attach diagrams

5. Daren R

Apr 9, 2015
    These are not correct. I will try again later. Daren

6. MrChips

Oct 2, 2009
    We all "Need Help".

Think how useful is your subject title "Need Help".

A better title would be "Timers miscounting".

7. Daren R

Apr 9, 2015
    I have started a thread on a different forum and will start a new thread here. I have built a panel to operate valves. These valves are timed and are turned on with a 24 hour clock. My problem is it will occasionally fire 2 timers together without the second clock calling for the valve to open. I have attached a wiring diagram of the operation. Thanks in advance for the help. Daren

8. MrChips

Oct 2, 2009
    Oh no! You should not start a new thread. That is also a no, no.
    Let the moderators edit the threads if needed.

Now the two threads are merged into one.

9. Brevor

Apr 9, 2011
    I had a problem like this once using electronic timers to control contactors. I fixed the problem by placing snubbers across the electronic timers contacts.

10. Daren R

Apr 9, 2015
    That is basically what I am doing. The only difference is the 24 hr. clocks. I have read about snubbers but can't find any info on sizing. Is one size fits all? Do I need snubbers on all for timers? Do the snubbers go on the operating coil of the timer? Thanks Daren