Timer/relay?

cessnadriver

Joined Feb 17, 2013
Hello ALL.
I'm interested in having a circuit with a time limit for a light to operate, and shut off within, say, one minute. 24 volts, 2 amps.
MY QUESTION: Is there a miniature electric timer or relay that will work in this application?
Thanks, sorry I may not be explaining this correctly?
BILLS

tracecom

Joined Apr 16, 2010
Hello ALL.
I'm interested in having a circuit with a time limit for a light to operate, and shut off within, say, one minute. 24 volts, 2 amps.
MY QUESTION: Is there a miniature electric timer or relay that will work in this application?
Thanks, sorry I may not be explaining this correctly?
BILLS
What is the supply voltage available to power the timer/relay?

cessnadriver

Joined Feb 17, 2013
Thanks to all your replies. BUT I think maybe I need to add some information to what I'm attempting.
I have a motor that has limiting micro-switches that stop the motor on both directions. The way the system is wired, there is a light to indicate when the motor is at it's stops and the light also stay on. What I want to do is to install something (SIMPLE) to switch the light "OFF" when the motor stops, and NOT have the light continue to burn. Does this make any sense? ALSO the way it's suppose to work is when the light comes "ON" I'm to move the switch to the neutral (CENTER) position!
Thanks again.
BILLS

tracecom

Joined Apr 16, 2010
When you return the switch to the center position, does the light go off?

And again, what voltage is available to power the timer? 12V or 24V or both?

Last edited:

cessnadriver

Joined Feb 17, 2013
Yes, the light goes off. BUT the reason I want the light off I also what the switch/lever to be in the upper or lower stops SO I know where the motor position is, either up(OPEN) or down (CLOSED). Does this answer help?
Thanks, BILLS

tracecom

Joined Apr 16, 2010
Yes, the light goes off. BUT the reason I want the light off I also what the switch/lever to be in the upper or lower stops SO I know where the motor position is, either up(OPEN) or down (CLOSED). Does this answer help?
Thanks, BILLS
Yes, it helps. A 555 one-shot could probably be configured to do what you want, but it will not work with a supply voltage above 18 V. That is the reason I keep asking about what supply voltage(s) are available.

cessnadriver

Joined Feb 17, 2013
Tracecom.
Sorry, I did mention the Voltage and Amperage in my earlier question, but here you go. 24 volts at 2 amps. Now the voltage can go as high 28 volts. The amps are the size of the circuit breaker. Hope this helps. BILLS

tracecom

Joined Apr 16, 2010
Tracecom.
Sorry, I did mention the Voltage and Amperage in my earlier question, but here you go. 24 volts at 2 amps. Now the voltage can go as high 28 volts. The amps are the size of the circuit breaker. Hope this helps. BILLS
I understood that to mean that is the voltage and current you want to switch, but you mean that 24V is also the supply voltage. In that case, a 555 would not be suitable without a regulator to bring the 24V down to 15V, which is still doable, but adds some additional concerns in the area of heat dissipation.

Based on the 24V power and your username, I think this may be a modification to an airplane, and if so, I don't have the expertise to help. I am just a tinkerer and not an engineer; I apologize for wasting your time with my questions. Good luck.