Timer relay set start date

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by carto, Feb 3, 2014.

1. carto

Thread Starter New Member

Feb 3, 2014
    Hi folks, I have searched around and am surprised I can't find a product like this. Maybe I'm just don't have the right search words.

I have a time-lapse camera system that I use for a remote location. I wish to set, two months in advance, a date for the 12 V power to switch on. While waiting the relay must use as little power as possible.

That's it! Anyone know of a product like this?

Thanks!

--Carto

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    Design one out of CMOS timer chips like a CD4020. They use little tiny amps while they are waiting.

3. carto

Feb 3, 2014
    Great; I'll look into that. Thanks!

4. KMoffett

AAC Fanatic!

Dec 19, 2007
    How accurate does the start week?/day?/hour?/minute?/second? need to be? An small microcontroller in a sleep mode and RTC (real time clock) chip.

Ken

5. carto

Feb 3, 2014
    Ken,

Thanks very much for the reply; I guess I need to activate my "email notification when reply" setting so I respond sooner.

The accuracy and precision of the start doesn't need to be better than a few days. I mostly just need to delay for a couple of months the day that the camera's controller starts the time-lapse sequence. Once that starts I can get the real time from the image files.

I will search on the topics you've given me and see what I can come up with. I am a complete beginner at building circuit boards.

--Arthur

6. ScottWang

Aug 23, 2012
  7. KMoffett

AAC Fanatic!

Dec 19, 2007
    I would go with a PICAXE 08M2 microcontroller and a DS1307 real-time-clock. The PICAXE can be in a low current SLEEP mode most of the time and wake up once a day to check the RTC's month/day. Then the PICAXE, with a relay or MOSFET, can switch on your 12V supply when the set month/day is exceeded.

Ken

8. carto

Feb 3, 2014
    #12, Scott, and Ken--

Thanks very much for your replies and help. Since I am such a beginner on this, I am going to try it this way--ordering a PICAXE 08M2 starter kit, a DS1307 clock, and a RB-See-286 Grove MOSFET module. It looks like that will get me going, and hopefully I'll learn whether this is the way to go for all 12 of the systems I have.

--Carto