Timer relay question! Help needed please.

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by yazen, Jul 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yazen

Thread Starter New Member

Jul 11, 2011
    Hi All,

Hope you guys are doing well.

I have a question on how to energize a timer relay ( this is the timer http://ca.digikey.com/1/1/53823-relay-timer-dpdt-analog-120-240v-h3cr-a-ac100-240-dc100-125.html)

I know how to wire a timer relay, but this is the senario:

I need to have a push botton (normally closed) pressed to reset a circuit in my car, the way i wanna set it up is, to hook up the timer relay with the door switch, so when i open the door, the door switch would power up the timer, and the timer will reset the switch in few minutes. The only issue which i am having at the moment is that, i have connected the timer (-) to the door switch and (+) directly from the battery, so when i open the door it would energize the timer and when i shut the door the timer would loose power! and i am unable to achieve what iam looking for. Need an advice on how to connect the timer to the door switch and would get powered as soon as i open the door and would stay powered when i close the door so it would reset a switch after few minutes?

Thanks,
    Yazen

2. ian.blue

Jul 12, 2011
    I looked up that timer but it was a star /delta timer presumably designed to start a power motor. Also it was rated for 120 volts. Ae you sure you've got the right timer.
    Anyhow if you want a relay to stay energised when you close the door you need to use one of its n/o contacts to bridge the door switch. That way it will stay in. The timer contacts then need to break the circuit to reset. ie n/o instant contacts in series with timed contacts. Hope this helps.

3. SgtWookie

Expert

Jul 17, 2007
    Oops, this is an automotive modification thread. Sorry, but that kind of topic is on the "restricted topics" list in the Terms of Service, paragraph 6.
    Link: Terms of Service

4. yazen

Thread Starter New Member

Jul 11, 2011
    Thank you Ian. Blue for your reply.

SgtWookie, I dont intend in any way to violate the forum rules. But my question is related to a time relay which iam trying to understand, yes, the relay will be used in a car though. Please let me know if it still violates the rules so i delete this topic.

Ian.Blue, You are right, this is the wrong relay! my bad, i just took pictures to the one which i have already (see attached pictures). Would you be kind enough to tell me which pins to connect here please as i am not an expert.

Thanks again,
    Yazen

5. bertus

Administrator

Apr 5, 2008
    Hello,

I am closing this thread as it violates AAC policy and/or safety issues.

Quote:
    6. Restricted topics. The following topics are regularly raised however are considered “off-topic” at all times and will results in Your thread being closed without question:

• Any kind of over-unity devices and systems
    • Automotive modifications
    • Devices designed to electrocute or shock another person
    • LEDs to mains
    • Phone jammers
    • Rail guns and high-energy projectile devices
    • Transformer-less power supplies
    This comes from our Tos:
    Terms of Service
    There will be enough sites where automotive questions can be discussed :
    Member selected automotive forums

Bertus