Timer connection problems - Please Help

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by ykc, Oct 1, 2010.

1. ykc

Thread Starter New Member

Sep 30, 2010
    I read other posts about timer connection issues but I wasn't able to figure out my problem. Please help

I have a 2 switch box in the wall, I am tryin to conect a Utilitech digital timer in one of the wall switches. below are the wires that I am not able to figure out

1 black wire from the other switch
    2 black wires from the wall
    1 copper wire

1 black, 1 blue, 1 red and 1 green wire in the timer switch

how do I connect all these wires?

Thanks in advance

KC

2. beenthere

Retired Moderator

Apr 20, 2004
    That is a problem. Even if you are switching to a load, there should be a white wire in the box. That is the neutral wire, necessary for a circuit. Those black wires may all be hot. The copper wire should be ground, but who knows?

With an arrangement like that, the house wiring is not standard, and not to be trusted. Unless you have a meter and are comfortable metering lethal voltages, your best bet is to call an electrician to figure that mess out.

The timer should have an installation sheet that states how to connect it.

3. ykc

Thread Starter New Member

Sep 30, 2010
    The switches are part of a circuit of lights. If I use a tester, it looks like 1 black wire out of the 3 has powere as I connect this 1 black wire to anyone of the other 2, my tester shows current.

If I cross the other 2 black wires (not the hot), the rest of the circuit is complete and all other switches in the circuit work.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2010