timer and counter by OP AMP

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by TAKYMOUNIR, Apr 14, 2014.

1. TAKYMOUNIR

Thread Starter Active Member

Jun 23, 2008
    how can I do counter and timer by OP AMP (not by using Flip Flop)
    thanks

2. MrChips

Oct 2, 2009
    You can't.

3. AnalogKid

Distinguished Member

Aug 1, 2013
    What are you counting and what are you doing with the result? Digital display, analog meter, audio or lights, etc.?

ak

4. Alec_t

AAC Fanatic!

Sep 17, 2013
    You can configure an opamp as an oscillator to create pulses, then integrate (i.e. effectively count) the pulses. The pulse frequency and number of pulses determine the time it takes for the integral to reach a threshold voltage.

TAKYMOUNIR likes this.
  5. ScottWang

Aug 23, 2012
    Why do we have to using a hammer to scoop water, and using a spoon to beat the Iron plate.

6. AnalogKid

Distinguished Member

Aug 1, 2013
    As analogies go, I think you're a little wide of the mark. Maybe what you are asking is why some people still insist on painting with brushes rather than do it on a computer. Or shooting pictures on film. Or producing music on vinyl.

Exploring other, or just older ways of doing things is a part of learning, a part that sadly is more and more out of favor these days. Also, the existance of newer tools or methods does not obsolete instantly all of the characteristics of the previous constructs. I'm not saying that the new ways aren't "better." I'm saying that they are not identical.

Among the many people on the innergogle that sell clock kits, three interest me. One guy's clock is all digital, and all discrete. Not one IC in the entire thing, the pc board is large and so well laid out that it is art. Next is a digital clock in a uC <snore> with two D/A outputs driving analog meters, one for minutes and one for hours <awake>. But the crown goes to the analog clock - a digital display with 100% opamps driving it. I've lost the link to that one, but I love the idea not because analog anything is better than everything <gasp>, but because it exemplifies a different view of reality.

There is art and life in the alternatives. Life is choice.

ak

Jeremy Brumfield likes this.
  7. BobTPH

Jun 5, 2013
    Well, you could easily make logic gates from opamps, then proceed with a digital desgin.

Bob